Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yes, Sometimes It's A Tough Decision.

In my world there is junk and then there is "good junk". 

I really should start looking at things for what they are rather than what they could be.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

For me, it's plastic containers.  Even the ones without lids.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz,

I can believe it! My mother washed tin foil and plastic bags!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

LOL as reading this it sure hits home ,my mother, who lived in her own  apartment till her passing in her nineties, was always saving boxes, cardboard, styrofoam boxes, like she needed them for something,

People thought she was moving if they saw the boxes that she had saved in her apartment, even once I  was asked by management why all those styrofoam boxes your mother has lined up in her bedroom,is she getting ready to move in with you, I  was taken back and laughed and said no  only place I think she is going in the future is the cemetery, they laughed.But the boxes did  come in very handy when we had to empty her apartment.

Now at my age I really  thought I inherited that  trait of saving boxes , but see there are  otthers ,hear myself saying this one is nice and clean this one from the Q or HSN is a good size,oh good  large  styofoam box came with  my salmon .But I do laugh and say  with each box,Lord just not ready for my kids to empty out my place yet.

Honored Contributor

Well, I thought it was just me.

Not just with boxes, but sometimes there will be something that probably would be considered refuse, yet I see that it might come in handy for some use at some point.   So, I tuck it away.

Just this week, I had gotten some shipment and while I was flattening the box to recycle, I saw these two cute little boxes that were inside, I guess from giving whatever was in the box some structure.  I kept them.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

For me it's bubble wrap

I also save bubble wrap @Mary Bailey .  The last time I moved, it really came in handy and I was glad I had saved it.

Occasional Contributor

I spent 9 months of the pandemic purging my apartment.  I did it in phases.  I used boxes for the keep/throw out/donate/don't know phase.  Then I pared down each box. And as the months went by, I kept some boxes, but threw out many.  I kept pretty boxes of all sizes and used them for jewelry which went into a cleaned out top drawer.  I kept cardboard boxes to hold papers until I could got through them and make a decision to keep or shred.  I  did take a 6 week break.  I restarted at the beginning of February.

Everything that I can still see that has not found a "home" in my apartment is either donated to a local church/synagogue or is kept.  Discarded multiples.  I expect to have most done by the fall.  Then I am planning to redo the living room with new lamps, a small reclining sofa, new comfortable chairs, and a new floor.  

This project was done by my housekeeper and myself.  She didn't say anything about the a amount of clothes I have.  I was a professional for 25 years; I have kept many of those clothes -- some are a size too large.  Fortunately, I was never a tee shirt or souvenir collector though I traveled a lot. I mainly bought jewelry for myself  and my mother, mother in law and favorite aunt.  I also bought art from local artists.

I sort of kept my wits about me when watching QVC.  During the pandemic, I bought very little; now I just look for what I really need.

I hope this essay gives you inspiration.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee 

Every once in awhile, since my wife seems to get numerous boxes, I have to remind myself. No, I won't need them any time soon. Ya know, a "just in case", so they pile up?

I do however check with my wife first. Made the mistake of throwing out one she needed to return something she bought online.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Oh, you've met my husband!  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Mimi NY wrote:

LOL as reading this it sure hits home ,my mother, who lived in her own  apartment till her passing in her nineties, was always saving boxes, cardboard, styrofoam boxes, like she needed them for something,

People thought she was moving if they saw the boxes that she had saved in her apartment, even once I  was asked by management why all those styrofoam boxes your mother has lined up in her bedroom,is she getting ready to move in with you, I  was taken back and laughed and said no  only place I think she is going in the future is the cemetery, they laughed.But the boxes did  come in very handy when we had to empty her apartment.

Now at my age I really  thought I inherited that  trait of saving boxes , but see there are  otthers ,hear myself saying this one is nice and clean this one from the Q or HSN is a good size,oh good  large  styofoam box came with  my salmon .But I do laugh and say  with each box,Lord just not ready for my kids to empty out my place yet.

@Mimi NY 

Sounds like my Father.