Esteemed Contributor

Yea! They’re closing the Forever 21 in my mall

Finally. They are closing the Forever 21 in my mall due to bankruptcy. The place was a former Mervyns and I don't think it's been cleaned since Mervyns left. What that 10 years ago? They finally pulled up the carpet that was stained, had holes and tears so now it's just bare concrete with cracks, sticky spots and gum. The escalator is stained and sticky with black filth. You don't dare touch anything. I hope whoever takes over this space has lots of money to clean up the joint. Maybe a quality store will go in. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Yea! They’re closing the Forever 21 in my mall

Why are you happy that people are loosing their jobs?

Odd.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not happy that people are losing their job but I'm sure they will find something else. It's retail, not rocket science. I just want to see a store that is clean and well taken care of replace it. Not a health and safety hazard. And who knows, the new owner might offer those people a job. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I'm not happy that people are losing their job but I'm sure they will find something else. It's retail, not rocket science. I just want to see a store that is clean and well taken care of replace it. Not a health and safety hazard. And who knows, the new owner might offer those people a job. 

Maybe they will, and maybe they won't.

You can't know for absolute certainty that they will.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

I don't think they've changed the carpet in my local Macy's since the store was built in the 70s.  Even when they remodeled and moved in a furniture dept, they kept the old yucky carpet. So, there's a "quality" store for you.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Our whole Mall just received a makeover inside, all new carpeting throughout, new paint, everything, but unfortunately it hasn't helped draw more people in. They still need to get new stores, fill up all of the empty spaces,especially where the Anchor stores have closed.....I have a feeling our mall will probably close soon, as someone said the rent is so high, it has become almost unaffordable.......

Our Bed, Bath and Beyond is closing as well........It is really sad to see that there are very few places to shop in a town with over 100,000 people! 

Honored Contributor

I take it you aren't a Forever 21 customer.  Why are you happy about the closing of some store you never shopped at?  

Respected Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN wrote:

Our whole Mall just received a makeover inside, all new carpeting throughout, new paint, everything, but unfortunately it hasn't helped draw more people in. They still need to get new stores, fill up all of the empty spaces,especially where the Anchor stores have closed.....I have a feeling our mall will probably close soon, as someone said the rent is so high, it has become almost unaffordable.......

Our Bed, Bath and Beyond is closing as well........It is really sad to see that there are very few places to shop in a town with over 100,000 people! 

Our mall is not doing well either.  Sears closed a long time ago.  Our other anchor stores are JCP, Macy's, Dillards and Von Maur.  Many of the other stores inside have closed.If another store comes in, it's a no name type of place that is junky and never lasts.  Many other stores inside have closed as well.  The mall is planning an overhall to compete with the more outdoor upscale malls which I don't shop.  They are way too expensive for me and not my taste.  The renovation is years down the road and I'm fearful it's going to get worse before it gets better and maybe too late.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I take it you aren't a Forever 21 customer.  Why are you happy about the closing of some store you never shopped at?  

I admit I've never shopped there. Just passed through on my way to the store next door. I don't know about their products other than it's cheap, throw away clothing. The whole store is just a filthy mess. Yellowing paint peeling on the walls, the place smells musty, old and moldy, no carpet only cracked concrete with holes and black sticky spots, the escalator railing is sticky with who knows what and the stairs are the same. Overflowing trash cans with litter beside them.  I don't think the store is ever cleaned. They just recently took out the 15 year old torn carpet (it had holes and stains from when Mervyns was still there) and left cracked tile and bare concrete. The joint needs a total redo. I hardly ever saw anyone in there shopping. I would like to see it cleaned up and some other store or stores go in. It's a shame that the owners of the mall didn't do anything about the upkeep of that store because the other stores are busy, clean and bright. 

Frequent Contributor

The mall in my town is expanding and always crowded.  Sears closed one floor at a time and other retailers have moved in.  One was a TexMex restaurant, one was a Barnes and Noble or some other book store and one was a bar/game (Main Event/Dave & Busters) place.  They just announced another round of buildings and stores.  I guess we are lucky.