Honored Contributor

Re: YOUR FAVORITE THANKSGIVING DISH

@Shanus   You're funny!!!!  The slurp of the jellied - I'll be honest, mom did the same thing at our table oh so many moons ago.

Honored Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Shanus   You're funny!!!!  The slurp of the jellied - I'll be honest, mom did the same thing at our table oh so many moons ago.

@PINKdogWOOD   Lol. That "slurp" means "Let's eat!" to me. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus   I've never heard this term, this is funny too.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@Shanus   I've never heard this term, this is funny too.

@PINKdogWOOD   Couldn't think of another name for the sound...it makes a weird sound as it slides out of the can and plops on to the dish...hopefully all as a whole log. 

Valued Contributor

Stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green been casserole, canned jellied cranberry sauce, warm biscuits with butter, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc..... Basically everything but the turkey. I’ll pass on that......It’s all fattening as heck and carb overload, but for a day or two it’s not gonna hurt.
Honored Contributor

@mamaslittlepotato wrote:
Stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green been casserole, canned jellied cranberry sauce, warm biscuits with butter, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, etc..... Basically everything but the turkey. I’ll pass on that......It’s all fattening as heck and carb overload, but for a day or two it’s not gonna hurt.

@mamaslittlepotato   Yay for the jellied cranberry sauce...Is there any other kind? OMG! I forgot the bread basket w/ yeast rolls, corn muffins and buttermilk biscuits. Of course, real stick butter. No margarine that day. 

Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm a Hoosier and Mashed Potatoes and Noodles is the official (OK....welll....unofficial) state food for any time of the year.  It's a staple with our Thanksgiving meal and also my favorite.  Our family never really got into any kind of yam/sweet potato dish nor the Cranberry Relish.  Most of us don't even care for pumpkin pie.  Myself, I'm not real fond of sweets anyway.  

My MIL serves noodles with every single meal even if also serving potatoes - always has. She is in Ohio, I wonder if that is a midwest thing?  

@ShanusI also love the jellied cranberry sauce in the can.  DH does not, so we make his, then I open the can of Ocean Spray and 'plop' it on a plate.  Voila! 

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

I'm a Hoosier and Mashed Potatoes and Noodles is the official (OK....welll....unofficial) state food for any time of the year.  It's a staple with our Thanksgiving meal and also my favorite.  Our family never really got into any kind of yam/sweet potato dish nor the Cranberry Relish.  Most of us don't even care for pumpkin pie.  Myself, I'm not real fond of sweets anyway.  

My MIL serves noodles with every single meal even if also serving potatoes - always has. She is in Ohio, I wonder if that is a midwest thing?  

@ShanusI also love the jellied cranberry sauce in the can.  DH does not, so we make his, then I open the can of Ocean Spray and 'plop' it on a plate.  Voila! 

@Mj12   It "slurps" from can to plate.

Respected Contributor

I love it all.   I guess if I had to pick one thing , it would be the cornbread, sage and onion dressing.   Or sweet potato pie.

But, I love it all.    Well except cranberry sauce, jelly , whatever.  Don't like it in jelly form or chunks.  No cranberry anything for me.   

We're going out to a local hotel for Thanksgiving lunch but I'll cook the same meal for xmas.  Just the two of us.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

I love it all.   I guess if I had to pick one thing , it would be the cornbread, sage and onion dressing.   Or sweet potato pie.

But, I love it all.    Well except cranberry sauce, jelly , whatever.  Don't like it in jelly form or chunks.  No cranberry anything for me.   

We're going out to a local hotel for Thanksgiving lunch but I'll cook the same meal for xmas.  Just the two of us.

@Bridgegal I have not had a sweet potato pie in FOREVER!  I always make pumpkin!Smiley Happy  I had some as a child, actually and loved it.Smiley Happy