Respected Contributor

Re: YOUR FAVORITE THANKSGIVING DISH

Yes I forget about making a turkey threw out the year. Why do I do that? I buy deli turkey for sandwiches but never think to cook one unless Thanksgiving. I like turkey, stuffing & gravy but we need veggies so have to have that. Also I love Ocean Spray jelly cranberry sauce, I know, but grew up with it and isn't Thanksgiving without the jelly cranberry on the table. I make the cranberry sauce from the berries for my husband, he likes that better but still need my own sauce. 

Honored Contributor

any that I don't have to cook-------Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop wrote:

Stuffing!   

When I got married I asked my mom to write down the recipe as I never wanted to be without it.   Now that she has passed away, I wish I had asked for more of her recipes.   She never had anything written down - she just did everything by memory, skill, etc.  Wish I had picked-up some of her cooking talent!

Her recipe has bread, mushrooms, onions, parsley, butter, salt and pepper.  It's so good.  I usually make it only once a year, but since I love it so much, I think I'm going to have to treat myself to it at least a few more times in a year!!!!    Smiley Happy

@BunSnoop Make a big batch and freeze it!  Dressing freezes great--and gravy too! 

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Shanus The roasted turkey in all its glory--and for me, especially the drumsticks and the dark meat.  Plus, the bonus dishes that come with the leftovers in the days after.

@aroc3435 Back when we had Thanksgiving I'd always get a turkey leg!  They are so good! 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

I always wonder why I don't throw a turkey in the oven the rest of the year. A turkey breast would even be perfect for two of us w/ some to freeze. 

@Shanus Really easy to do in the crock pot.  The backbone has to be cut out first and put in another spot so the lid would close.  Don't go over 5 1/2 hours because the meat will chip, not slice. I get tons of broth!  Three to 4 cups.  It's the ONLY way I can send our son home with the turkey he craves the week after!

@ECBG   High?  Low?  I've never done one in the crock pot.  About how many pounds?  I notice the sizes vary a lot.  SO you halve the breast?  Split the backbone?  Can I get my big cleaver out?  Huh?  Can I?????  LOL!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I can't choose only one thing....some of my faves are, the turkey of course, my mother in law's stuffing (she gave me the recipe but mine never comes out as good as hers!) and my famous pecan pie squares with freshly whipped cream...YUM!   Oh...and almost forgot mashed turnips with real butter...my mother always made these when I was growing up and although hardly anyone else eats them, I always make them and enjoy them!   

Respected Contributor

My favorite is the Stuffing. BUT no one can cook like my Beloved Mom did  Smiley Sad  Truly no one in the family can cook as well so nothing tastes as good now.   But I like Stuffing and the Mashed Potatoes.

Esteemed Contributor

On T-day a little turkey, but really mashed potatoes, stuffing (preferrably my sister's done outside bird), and gravy.

The day after - turkey sandwich w/lettuce and Hellmans.

I don't care about the desserts.

Honored Contributor

It's a toss up between dressing and pumpkin pie!

Honored Contributor

I love to make a great flavorful homemade stuffing - or dressing if you prefer. Takes some time to create but so well worth it.

@Shanus   It's really very easy to make real cranberry sauce and it take little time. Real berries, some raw sugar in a pan to pop those berries open, sweeten, then add in all spice or just cinn, nutmeg, whatever spice you enjoy. Toss in a few marshmallows if you wish but certainly not necessary. Serve warm. Enjoy. YUM!