Trusted Contributor

Re: Xmas Decorations AFTER Halloween? Really???

My outside Christmas lights went up this past weekend. A little early for me but since having surgery, I am not able to get these up by myself this year, so my brother came over to help me. I am a mashup right now as I still have a fall wreath on my front door. 

The lights are on a timer so they have been going on at around 4:30pm. I've been using the timers' remote to turn them off each night as I planned to let them go on/stay on as of the weekend before Thanksgiving; it is just too early for me now. Funny, when I went out to get my mail, I noticed that my next door neighbor must have put his lights out today. When I turned off my lights at 4:30pm, his were on. His house is another mashup as he also has an inflatable turkey on the front lawn along with the Christmas lights. I am guessing that this weekend most of my neightbors will work on outdoor decorating. 

Respected Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

I know retail stores do this, but private homes?

What happened to Thanksgiving?

Where I live it's one home association after another.  All with landscaping, waterfalls, etc at the entrances.  Christmas decorations at mine and all the surrounding associations started going up right after Halloween.  Bows, wreaths, lights and all.

Valued Contributor

I read on article on People's website about a couple in TX who already got a letter from their HOA stating they put their outside decorations up too early (wife is 8 months pregant with her 3rd child, said if she waited any longer probably wouldn't of been able to help her husband with things).

The arcle said the letter never told them when they could actually put things out (I know in some places you have to wait until Friday after Thanksgiving), so some of their neighbors heard and started putting out decorations in their support.

Respected Contributor

Christmas is my favorite time of the year.  Never have cared for Halloween or Thanksgiving.   Not everyone celebrates the same things as others.  If it makes people happy to decorate now, then that's great.  I moved my furniture around over the weekend so that I can get my decorations out soon.  Probably will decorate this weekend.   I saw one of my neighbors had a tree up their living room window Tuesday.   Made me smile as I drove by.

Trusted Contributor

So here's the deal as far as the stores go. Most stores have a specific space set aside for seasonal items. They'll try to spread out the seasonal stuff as long as they can while keeping it looking nice but often times you can't even make it to the holiday. After the holiday the next one is going up and Thanksgiving isn't really a big season for stores.

I can tell you it's pretty tough trying to make your store look good while you're stretching merchandise. They only reason people in a store are happy to put up a new season is because the store looks really nice for a little while.

When it comes to decorating early, if we're talking about outside I think part of it is doing it when the weather is still decent. Much worse odds of dealing with cold and snow after Thanksgiving. Otherwise I think a lot of people just really love Christmas decorating. I don't decorate at all which makes it super easy.

Respected Contributor

What about Thanksgiving? 

It's not really known for decorations. There aren't a lot of homes that have gone viral for Thanksgiving decor. There aren't entire stores dedicated to Thanksgiving decorations. I've never driven by a Thanksgiving Shoppe. I've never seen kids getting their pictures with a turkey at the mall. There aren't TV shows dedicated to Thanksgiving decorating competitions.

I say bring on the Christmas lights.They're so pretty to look at and the longer they're up, the happier I am. My apartment complex used to make people strip them all down by the middle of January, but has just this year allowed people to keep lights on their patios all year. Several neighbors have strings of white lights that illuminate their balconies at night and it's just beautiful in the summer.

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

Well, here's my excuse.  I have a hard time bending and lifting and getting on my knees for a long period of time.  So I have to start early so I can get done in time to enjoy my Christmas.  I decorate to the hilt in my home, not just in the tree room.  We put a large tree in the living room and a 5 foot tree in 2 bedrooms and a 5foot in the corner or my dining room. Plus I take everything off the tables and shelves and decorate them.  It takes me a long time to do all this.  And I won't quit as long as I can move.  But I love Christmas and all we do at Thanksgiving is eat. After dinner we all go out and put the outside decorations in the yard.  It's not much but I love it.  And we have fun doing it.  Now on the inside husband does the lugging of boxes and I do all the decorating.  No one else is allowed to help because it's my own and I love it.  Sorry this got so long.  But I'm not a fan of the Q putting it on so early.

No excuses needed. It's your home - do what makes you happy.

Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  Thank you, I appreciate that.  Merry Christmas

Honored Contributor

I don't decorate for thanksgiving.  We've already had three snow falls and below zero temps, so decorating for Christmas isn't that far fetched.

Honored Contributor

Hallmark starts July 4th!!!!!