Honored Contributor

Re: Writing your own blog /journal

I have and think it's an absolutely great idea.  Some people in making a decision write down pro's column vs. con's column.  I'm a list maker, a paper person.  So yes, write away.  It's great! Sometimes, once you see and go back (if you do) and reread, you can see where your thinking was at a certain point.  You can always shred or burn something you write if you don't want anyone else coming across it.  If you have no one to talk to, it's great for that too.  Kind of a cheap therapist too.  

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I have been through a lot in the last few weeks, and I have starting jotting down notes, thoughts and my feelings at the moment. For it is a grounding exercise. I am not sure I will look at what I have written but it is helping me sort out feelings.

Have you blogged or journaled for your personal use.

@I am still oxox   Yes, I've kept journals for many years, maybe since high school. Like you I jot down feelings, sort out problems, decisions to make...make pros and cons columns. Some pages turn into sketches for jewelry or painting or just doodling pages for relaxation. I keep a pencil case w/ my journals with many different colored pencils, colored gel pens, sparkly pens, etc. It makes it more fun for me and makes me want to put down even a few words each day.

I rarely go back and read them...hundreds in boxes in the attic. Meaningful "ah has" have a colored sticky note on that page if I decide to go back and look. Writings have one color note and sketches a different color, so I know what to look for...OCD? Maybe, but in a good way. I have things in the air to juggle, I have to stay organized. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   I agree 100%. Journaling helped me make many decisions and also deal w/ feelings while and after family members passed away...fur babies included.

Honored Contributor

I kept a journal for years when I worked outside the home, simply for my mental health. After I retired I read them one by one and destroyed them one by one. I would never want anyone to read how selfabsorbed I was. IMO if you can't journal anything about yourself or circumstance that you wouldn't wanted family, friends or stranger to read, find a secluded place to scream.

Respected Contributor

I do something similar.  When I have a problem with another preson I sometimes write them a letter.  Sometimes I deliver it and sometimes I just keep it for a few days and throw it away or delete it.  It helps me sort things out & I feel better to just get it down.

We do also have a few "neighborhood" email groups that are popular in our current neighborhood and our past neighborhood but they are only as good as their Mods!  Also we can't find out who one of the Mods is so there is no way to report problems.

The Forums here are therapy for us sometimes Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Have you blogged or journaled for your personal use?

No. For things that are the most important to me, unbelievably, I can still rely on my memory. I did keep a journal through the years of my running road races. Without them I would never had been able to find the sources of my tons of physical injuries. 

My personal life and just living it? Nah!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

No but I do write letters to my late husband when I miss him.

It's been over 15 years since he died suddenly.

I want my grandchildren and great grandchildren to know about us and the love and adventures we experienced.

In the letters they mention some of our conversations, things we did, etc.

It's a good record written in the first person as if he was away so they can feel the time and place, etc.

Honored Contributor

I love to write .... I keep "readng notes" on a lot of the books I read, research notes, etc.  I have binders and binders .....

-----------------------------------------------------

A few years back, I ordered a journal from Amazon .....  The Happiness Project One Sentence Journal:  A Five Year Record.  It was fun, but I  didn't keep it up - and just recently came across it while reorganizing some bookshelves.  It's now sitting here on my coffee table.  I hope to start it agan.  I just picked up the Kindle version of the accompanying book.

The Happiness Project, Tenth Anniversary Edition: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The blurb at Amazon:  

The Happiness Project One-Sentence Journal helps you to make a fascinating and revealing time capsule of the next five years of your life. Simply turn to today’s date, reflect on the quote at the top of the page, and jot down just one sentence (perhaps about something good that happened that day).

Honored Contributor

I enjoy writing - but not about myself.  It is not something I could ever get into.  For those who enjoy it, that is great.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox    This past October, I started using an app called Day One.  It's been very useful for me.  I was going through some major life changes (still am). And wanted to document them and state my thoughts.  But not on social media, which seems to be the way so many go these days!

I like it a lot.  Can post photos, can skip a day or two...it's up to me. 

there is the option to require a sign in password.  At first, I didn't do this but now I do.  I wouldn't mind if family members might read my posts in the future, but for the most part, I do this for me.