Honored Contributor

Re: Would you take sister in???

[ Edited ]

No, don't do it. 

There's a reason that you have been estranged all these years and even her kids want nothing to do with her.

Follow their lead, they've lived with her and know her much better than you do, and if they've chosen to alienate themselves from their mother, there must be a very good reason.

I wouldn't risk my own family's harmony and happiness.

But that's just my opinion.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Don't judge your sister just because her kids don't talk to her - you may not know the situation.  Kids aren't always sweet and loving. 

Honored Contributor

Call your county senior services office and get information on subsidized housing,  nursing homes,  meals on wheels,  medical services... anything she'd need and be ready if she asks to move in.   You can help her get around and use available services but I wouldn't allow a stranger to cause upheaval in my and my family's lives.   If she proves to be pleasant,  include her in family activities.   If she's not,  you're under no obligation. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Don't judge your sister just because her kids don't talk to her - you may not know the situation.  Kids aren't always sweet and loving. 

@hoosieroriginal  If it was one kid that did not speak to her I would agree with you.  But all three don't speak to her? There is a reason I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

WIth all due respect, neither are all 'mothers'. I know.....I had one.

Have you ever seen the movie 'Mommy Dearest'?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda...I also have a similar situation.... I do have contact with this sister but when she visited a year or so ago for 3 days, I thought I would lose my mind, so my answer would be no....like someone else posted, there are government program that could help her out.  Good luck.

Respected Contributor

I would say no considering the background information in your message. 

Honored Contributor

I took in one of my brothers once when he was in dire straits - he stole my checkbook and took all the money I had in the bank to pay our bills that month, then ran far and fast away. Thank goodness we were able to cover this from our savings but I learned a hard lesson about him. Also thank goodness he didn't find the passbook to the savings as well.

Valued Contributor

Yes, she's your sister.  I'd never turn any of mine away.

Honored Contributor

There are sisters, and then there are sisters. For people who have never had sisters, they have no idea the harm they can cause, or the damage they can do, on purpose