Valued Contributor

Re: Would you get married again?

I will be married 52 yrs. soon..Could never go through all the things we have been through together.

I have been spoiled.

I would settle for a 3 room apt. and a cat.

Regular Contributor

Thankfully I cannot answer that question.

Respected Contributor

I don't think I would as I have a great husband and if I am really honest I don't think anyone else would measure up. We have been married for thirty five years and it is just magic between us even after all these years. I hope we get a lot more years of wonderful!

Super Contributor

I was married once in my early 30s. Lasted 7 years and I got out. Now at age 63 I think that I would like a monogamous long-term relationship but have no desire to re-marry. I don't want to ever put so much at risk again -- one person had the ability to legally ruin many aspects of my life.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband died about 18 months ago and I have no desire to remarry.  I can’t even imagine it.  As others have mentioned, it would be difficult to adjust to someone new, their baggage, my baggage.  I loved my husband very much and still talk to him daily.  I was also his caregiver and can’t imagine doing that for anyone else. 

Honored Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

My husband died about 18 months ago and I have no desire to remarry.  I can’t even imagine it.  As others have mentioned, it would be difficult to adjust to someone new, their baggage, my baggage.  I loved my husband very much and still talk to him daily.  I was also his caregiver and can’t imagine doing that for anyone else. 

@cotton4me - I still talk to my husband daily also and I was his caregiver also.  Like you, I can't imagine doing that for anyone else, it's very hard. My best to you. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I really admire those of you lucky to be in or have been in a good marriage. Congratulations!! I think that makes a difference when losing a partner. At 50 and divorced and still working I would have considered it. Twenty years has passed and no longer interested and quit dating five years ago. Too much "luggage"  and I am financially pretty secure as inherited a nice sum of money from my Aunt/Godmother.

I always admired couples that found love happiness and marriage later in life. Two are now widowed who were divorced  and remarried and alone again. My neighbor, age 74 was married 13 years for the second time and divorced. It would be nice to have a companion sometimes, but wasn't meant to be. My ex is on his 4th marriage so evidently can't live alone?

Respected Contributor

NEVER! My sweet MIL died when she was only 47 and my FIL waited 7 years before he remarried.  What a disaster!  She was the same age as his oldest child and was a very insecure, jealous, pill popping alcoholic.  Treated him like garbage most of the time they were married. Right before he passed he told me he couldn't wait to see his wife again.  I'm so glad they are together again.  6 months after his death the wicked witch of the west died lying in a bed of her own vomit.  

I've had a wonderful marriage for 50 years and would never consider complicating my life with another man and his kids, etc.  

Esteemed Contributor

No, absolutely not. I'm too set in my ways to start over if anything happened to my husband. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

NO.

I won't be a nurse or a purse.  I won't put up with anyone else's BS.  I would have no tolerance for someone else's drama with adult siblings, children or grandchildren.  

@RedTop 

Absolutely love this!!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett