Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

In the next town there is a small family run hotel and eatery where they indeed cater to the regulars. They make a fabulous macaroni and cheese, one Friday night we tried to order the mac/cheese only to be told they were all out. Don't you know, not 10 minutes after we were served they bring out plates with the mac/cheese for other customers. My husband was livid and asked the waitress why we were told the mac/cheese was sold out and she said, "when we are running low ,we save that side dish for our regulars". That was the last time we ate there. My son's friend worked there in the kitchen,  I told her about the incident and she said it didn't surprise her. To make it up to us she gave me the recipe for the macaroni and cheese.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

I won’t give my business to anyone who doesn’t seem to want it. Sorry, I work too hard for my money and it matters to me where it goes. Additionally, I don’t think it means the OP is ‘overly sensitive’ for even asking this question. It’s a valid question. She just wanted others’ opinions on the situation.
Honored Contributor

I see nothing wrong with saving the mac and cheese for their regulars. Regulars are their sustaining customers just like political parties have their base. They can depend on them while others may be one time customers. It doesn't matter what the situation, those who can be depended upon earn special treatment.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrainoh yes, we have to reward the tribe.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom  I think you nailed it.  Of course, the OP needs to decide for herself.  She has to decide her own comfort level.  

That bar analogy is spot on.

I went to the same coffee shop every morning for about twenty- five years of my working life and everyone was taken care of but it did take a while to fit in--but all three waitresses were fabulous as was the grill man.

I had a couple of different after work bars that my girlfriend and I went to after work.  There were a few we tried that were way too "cliquey" so the solution was to stop trying and spending our hard earned spluge money in those places and patronize the bars that appreciated us.

Bottom line for me is small business owners if they are on the premises should cultivate a good relationship with ALL their customers and instill that in their employees.  Sounds like the owner of this place is too dense or egotistic to understand that. 

Regular Contributor

I had thatexperience in a cross-stitch shop in Utah (I can't remember the name or if it's even still in business but it was pretty well known at the time). DH and I were on a road trip and made a point of stopping in to see this place.

Because I too was not a regular (at least, not in person though I'd bought a lot via their web site), I got a very cool reception. I replaced all the stuff I had planned to buy and later emailed them and told them that their customer service needed improvement. I don't think they cared because they had so much business that my tiny little amount wouldn't matter to them.

Respected Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

Sometimes we are more comfortable with who we know than the ones we don't.  Not an excuse, just truth.

Of course, but not making all customers feel welcome is a risky and dumb way to run a business.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

So funny.

Are we still in Junior High?

How this would affect a mature adult is baffling to me. 

Your comment is baffling to me.   

Respected Contributor

There are lots of places to eat in the small college town where I live. I don’t patronize the few where we’ve gotten bad food or poor, rude service.

For 30 years I worked in a career where I tried very hard to treat folks fairly, sometimes to the point of bending over backwards, as the saying goes.  I would like to be treated in a similar way (well minus the bending over backwards but just treat me politely!) If I perceive unfair treatment I won’t purposely expose myself to that again. There are other places where the wait staff are attentive and friendly. 

Respected Contributor

it is quite normal  to focus on the requlars