Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

@sissel wrote:

I love the Mom & Pop places but seem some lack communication skills which sometimes makes or breaks a business, there is a site yelp.com which I go to many times for anything that has consumer reviews. Sometimes good or bad reviews. I do realize some people will complain about anything. I do love Mom & Pop & they will go out of their way to please but some people take advantage too. Most are so nice and we continue to go back they have to compete with the chain restaurants. If you feel not a good place I would not go back. 

It's a front for something else.  Watch and learn.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

There are social clubs and groups, church activities, volunteer organizations, all eager for the kind of companionship many of us seek. 

At a small coffee shop, I expect hot coffee. I look for cozy commiseration elsewhere. Even here, sometimes. 

Honored Contributor

I see this frequently living in a small town myself.  I don't think this is a smart way to conduct a business, but I guess it is natural to act more partial to patrons who are friends and family.  However, it would behoove store owners to treat others with more enthusiasm and friendly ways.  If I don't feel comfortable in a store and actually get ignored, am I going to want to give them my money, give them my business???  No!!  All $$$ are equal no matter who they come from and I believe they are only hurting themselves by acting this way.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Wow, it sounds to me as if the OP is a bit too sensitive! If it gets you so upset just find another place to give your business to. Simple. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You don't strike me as overly sensitive since it's common knowledge about the way non friends are treated at your local coffee shop. I've read online reviews of places like that. If they are the only shop in town, I might go back. Otherwise I'd stop somewhere else.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a similar experience with a local gas station that had a little restaurant inside.  On my way to work one morning I stopped for gas and became intoxicated by the smell from the grill--homemade biscuits, sausage, bacon, eggs, etc.  A few times I stopped there for breakfast.  I liked the idea of supporting a mom & pop business rather than going through a fast food drive thru. They don't have a drive thru so customers have to go inside to order at the counter.  I stopped going because it was almost like walking into Cheers, that place where everybody knows your name (except mine because I'm not originally from here and just drove through that part of town on my way to work so I didn't know anyone). People were always so caught up in their conversations that they didn't make time for newcomers.  The line moved very slowly because the people working there took time for conversations about anything and everything with people they knew.  When I got up to the counter, the employees talked to people who were in front of or behind me.  No opportunities for me to make small talk.  I just stopped going because there were faster and friendlier places to get gas and breakfast on my way to work.  In a way it was awkward and felt like I was in the way.  No regrets about choosing to go elsewhere on my end, but the management may be feeling some regrets about not reaching out to grow their business as new chain gas stations and restaurants have opened up around them to give them competition with lower prices.

Respected Contributor

Sometimes we are more comfortable with who we know than the ones we don't.  Not an excuse, just truth.

Respected Contributor

No. We don’t expect a business owner to dote on us, but they should make us feel welcome and that they appreciate our business. A couple of years ago we stopped going to a restaurant in the Outer Banks because they only seemed to appreciate their local patrons over tourists (hostess ignored us when we arrived, waitstaff was very slow to refill drinks, etc.). This was a place we’d gone to since they opened 20+ years ago. When we mentioned it to a few others down there, they agreed with us. We aren’t boycotting this restaurant, per se, but realized there were a lot of other excellent restaurants within an easy drive of the house we rent where the owners and staff  appreciate our patronage. 

Honored Contributor

No I would not.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

So funny.

Are we still in Junior High?

How this would affect a mature adult is baffling to me.