Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

How did the friends become friends? I'm wondering if the owners mistakenly think people want left alone, some do, and those who are friends are outgoing and initiated conversation.

If I liked the food, I'd continue to patronize their business. I don't like to deprive myself of anything I enjoy.

Super Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

You could write a review on their website and mention this situation.  If the owner reads all the reviews he will be enlightened and might do something to solve the situation.  If not, I'd go elsewhere.

I thought about that, but I don't think the owner gives a flip, really.. Guess I have my answer.. Smiley Indifferent Smiley Sad 

Respected Contributor

Why continue to go to a place that does not care about their customers unless they are friends? How strange to run a business like that. I would rather frequent a business that I enjoy going to and feel comfortable in.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

How did the friends become friends? I'm wondering if the owners mistakenly think people want left alone, some do, and those who are friends are outgoing and initiated conversation.

If I liked the food, I'd continue to patronize their business. I don't like to deprive myself of anything I enjoy.

Yes, this is sort of similar to one of the other replies.. I have tried chatting with the owner, but ended up feeling like I was talking in a foreign language or something.. Guess I'm just not part of the cool kids club.. Maybe it's just a hobby for the owner.. who knows.. 

Honored Contributor

@msh8970  So, why do you go there?

Super Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@msh8970  So, why do you go there?

Because I do like the coffee and offerings, as said in the OP. Smiley Wink  It's close to home and the other mom and pop coffee shop is not as nice and crappy parking lot/further from my house. Why?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless someone is operating a business as a lark and isn't concerned about its success, they have to be cognizant of the instinctual feeling customers (and prospective customers) have -- the "gut reaction" they feel in response to the business atmosphere.   It sounds like this owners' "friends" are their priority and everyone else is an option.    

One of my favorite Maya Angelou quotes I've posted here often:   “Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option.”   

A good business person understands their clientele should feel they all are important and not expendable or a second thought.   Otherwise...  this coffee shop will become the option to some (very likely already has become an option) and while it might survive it probably won't thrive to its potential.   Money isn't growing on trees, and consumers care about how and where they spend it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Maybe the "friends" are really relatives..............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@msh8970 Well that's a mystery. I'd have to continue going there just to solve it. I'd analyze the friends, listen in on their conversations. What's makes them in and me out?

Honored Contributor

If someone is not nice to me, I do not darken their doors.  Life is too short and if this seems to be a little clique business, stay far, far away and don't insult yourself by patronizing them and then wallowing in pity.