Esteemed Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

@msh8970  If I really liked an establishment and I was served efficiently and politely, I would continue to go. Don't really care if they act like my friend.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

@msh8970 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I guess a business person is entitled to operate his business as he sees fit but in a case like the OP cites, it's bound to be reflected in his bottom line.  Perhaps the purpose of his business is to foster his social life, not to enhance his financial status.  I would help him to achieve this goal by staying far away.

This is exactly how it feels.. Very well said.. thank you.. It is sad, as I really do like the place, but I don't want to impose on his/their social hour, I guess.. *shrug*.. 

Went to a hair dresser that did this....I was booked as her 1st appt of the day...to my surprise when I arrived...she had several "cousins" of hers in the chairs doing their hair for free!  Had me wait 45mins before she even began my cut/color....I watched closely as they checked out...they never did...they fooled around there for several hours....had their young kids with them also.  She did say it was her cousins and bla bla bla....I never went back to her again.  

In your case I wouldn't go back to that place to eat ever again either.  It's there loss.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely not. There are too many places to give my business and money to that would be appreciative and know how to treat their customers. But I also would let the owner know about as well. I just did this with our local Applebee's and I said I will no longer patronize your restaurant and here are my reasons why..

This was after filing a complaint and nothing being done about it.... 

Respected Contributor

@msh8970. Just curious, how long has his establishment been in business? It costs a lot of money to run any business. He must have money to burn, if he only chooses to cater to " His Preferred Clientele " and stays in business. Even in Cheers (tv show) which was a cozy, socialized bar, they accepted and made everyone feel good (joke, " Where Everybody Knows Your Name").

I don't expect an owner of an establishment that I frequent often, to kow tow to me but on the other hand, I don't want to be ignored or pushed aside. I'd prefer to spend and support a mom and pop store that can really use my money.

Have a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Esteemed Contributor

I think it's a given that a good establishment will be nice to all customers, wait on them without a problem, and not make any customer feel like an outsider.

But this is the way this particular place chooses to do business.  So it is what it is.  And the OP has the choice of whether she wants to continue to go there or not.

If it were me, and I felt so uncomfortable there that I started a thread about it, I wouldn't go back.  That's a pretty high level of discomfort, IMO, and I wouldn't subject myself to that anymore.  Sure, the food might be good, but if I feel uncomfortable when I'm there and unhappy when I leave, then why would I go?  

So the answer for me would be pretty clear.  

Honored Contributor

I see favoritism more prevalent at locally owned places over chains.

I try to support local but you only have 1 chance to get it right.

I'm not in a restaurant to join a fraternity, I just want a good meal & no attitude.

I do understand you have to build your brand and a customer base.

If someone feels overlooked, it may not be deliberate, just an oversight.

Esteemed Contributor

Nah....I'd avoid the place. Anyone who owns a business should want to increase their customer base. The best way to do that is by treating all customers like a guest.

Respected Contributor

Location, location, location?

DH and I are from a small town in PA where everyone knew everyone else.  Shopping was wonderful!  Store clerks were happy to help shoppers.  

After getting married, we moved to Indiana, another small town and everyone was friendly.

Then we moved to VT, and going into a store was not fun.  The personnel acted as though shoppers were an annoyance!  We had to practically beg for help.  That was long ago; I hope things have changed.

I wonder if the OP is new in town and in a place like what we experienced in VT.  BTW, we are now in NC and are very happy;  folks are generally friendly especially merchants who want to be succesful!  

Respected Contributor

@kcladyz wrote:

it is quite normal  to focus on the requlars

Of course it is, but you don't ignore the rest of your customers.That is if it is your livelihood.

Honored Contributor

@Huge Hannah wrote:

I had thatexperience in a cross-stitch shop in Utah (I can't remember the name or if it's even still in business but it was pretty well known at the time). DH and I were on a road trip and made a point of stopping in to see this place.

Because I too was not a regular (at least, not in person though I'd bought a lot via their web site), I got a very cool reception. I replaced all the stuff I had planned to buy and later emailed them and told them that their customer service needed improvement. I don't think they cared because they had so much business that my tiny little amount wouldn't matter to them.

Not directed at the above poster, but just to show how different we all are, I'd have bought the stuff regardless because I wanted it.  It would not matter to me on a one-time basis if they weren't very friendly.  It would have been about the stuff I wanted to me.