Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

[ Edited ]

@pattypeep wrote:

@msh8970  If I really liked an establishment and I was served efficiently and politely, I would continue to go. Don't really care if they act like my friend.

I'm like the above.  I have had occasion to eat alone a lot in my life when my husband was out of town or just when I couldn't take a regular lunch hour, or was traveling myself.  

It never bothered me to eat alone and I didn't have to bring a book or do anything but sit and eat.  I know that is something that is difficult or uncomfortable for some.  And I think that it is harder to make some of us uncomfortable than it is others, especially in different situations.

If the food and service are good, I can enjoy people watching and feel fine sitting there by myself doing just that.  I know some people aren't that way but for me, I'd be fine watching the goings on around me.

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

EAT SOMEWHERE ELSE😶

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Huge Hannah wrote:

I had thatexperience in a cross-stitch shop in Utah (I can't remember the name or if it's even still in business but it was pretty well known at the time). DH and I were on a road trip and made a point of stopping in to see this place.

Because I too was not a regular (at least, not in person though I'd bought a lot via their web site), I got a very cool reception. I replaced all the stuff I had planned to buy and later emailed them and told them that their customer service needed improvement. I don't think they cared because they had so much business that my tiny little amount wouldn't matter to them.

Not directed at the above poster, but just to show how different we all are, I'd have bought the stuff regardless because I wanted it.  It would not matter to me on a one-time basis if they weren't very friendly.  It would have been about the stuff I wanted to me. 

I agree.  If I wanted the items or the meal or whatever, I would have to decide who I would really be hurting if I simply walked out.  In the case of a meal or a cup of coffee, I probably wouldn't stay if the ambience was unwelcoming and I felt uncomfortable there.  But in the case of buying something, if I wanted it I would buy it.  If it was my first time in a store, I'd really have no way of knowing why staff wasn't friendly - maybe there had been bad news or they were having staffing issues or whatever.  I might not ever go back, and I might tell my friends the place was lacking in customer service skills, but I wouldn't deprive myself of something I wanted just to make a point that would likely go over the heads of the owners anyway.

(And I'm not directing my comment to the above poster either.  She may not have wanted the items she'd chosen that badly.  Or for whatever reason, each of us makes our own choices.  So this is not a criticism, just a comment on an interesting topic.)

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@msh8970  If I really liked an establishment and I was served efficiently and politely, I would continue to go. Don't really care if they act like my friend.

I'm like the above.  I have had occasion to eat along a lot in my life when my husband was out of town or just when I couldn't take a regular lunch hour, or was traveling myself.  

It never bothered me to eat alone and I didn't have to bring a book or do anything but sit and eat.  I know that is something that is difficult or uncomfortable for some.  And I think that it is harder to make some of us uncomfortable than it is others, especially in different situations.

If the food and service are good, I can enjoy people watching and feel fine sitting there by myself doing just that.  I know some people aren't that way but for me, I'd be fine watching the goings on around me.

If I felt uncomfortable when I was there and unhappy when I left (which seems to be the case with the OP), I wouldn't go back. 

But being on my own isn't a problem for me, and I'm perfectly fine if other people don't reach out to me and act as friendly to me as they are to their friends.  Eating out alone doesn't bother me.  Neither does stopping somewhere for coffee, going to a Broadway show or a movie, shopping, or pretty much anything else.  If I want to do something, I do it.  I don't need companionship, although I do often end up meeting some very interesting people. But if no one talks to me at all, I'm okay with that.

I think there's a difference between being somewhere & not included in whatever socialization is going on, and being made to feel uncomfortable.  If I don't like how I feel when I'm there, then I wouldn't go back.

Honored Contributor

We frequent a certain restaurant several times a week and have for 20 yrs.  You get to know the employees and manager quite well....even some of the other diners after that many years.  You do become friendly and get to know a bit about each others lives. It's kind of like a pub or bar experience after a while.  Everyone gathers around to talk!

People that have only frequented the place several times often do not say much and are assumed to be there just to enjoy their meal or meet someone else. Often they are staying at a motel and just passing through. Unless they start up a conversation that is what is assumed. 

If the food is good and the service is good, I would just enjoy my meal.  If you still feel this way after several trys at being friendly yourself, I would go elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

He might be shy and introverted ,among people he doesn't know very well

I would be more concerned about the quality of their products

Regular Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Huge Hannah wrote:

I had thatexperience in a cross-stitch shop in Utah (I can't remember the name or if it's even still in business but it was pretty well known at the time). DH and I were on a road trip and made a point of stopping in to see this place.

Because I too was not a regular (at least, not in person though I'd bought a lot via their web site), I got a very cool reception. I replaced all the stuff I had planned to buy and later emailed them and told them that their customer service needed improvement. I don't think they cared because they had so much business that my tiny little amount wouldn't matter to them.

Not directed at the above poster, but just to show how different we all are, I'd have bought the stuff regardless because I wanted it.  It would not matter to me on a one-time basis if they weren't very friendly.  It would have been about the stuff I wanted to me. 

Maybe I should have mentioned they had a very mixed rating in the little world of cross stitch and seemed to think they were the only game in town.

They weren't, so I wrote them a note and let them know the were NOT and that I took the $500 or so I had planned to spend in their shop and took my business elsewhere.

You have to him 'em in the one place they really care about: the bottom line.

Honored Contributor

If you want conversation from them then try to get them conversing.I really prefer not to be chatty with the staff while I’m having a meal.I love a restaurant in our town but the staff is too friendly and I can’t eat or chat with my companions because of it.One server even sat at out table to take her break.LOL

Honored Contributor

I saw this pop up again.  I just don't expect to be one of the "in" crowd all the time.  I'm fine without being treated special if the food and service are to my satisfaction.

It's a bunch of friends and I'm fine not being one of the bunch.  It all depends I guess on why you are eating there and how comfortable you are just being an observer!  That's absolutely fine with me. 

Occasional Contributor

No way, no how I would go back. I had very similar experience at my local pet shop.  The owners although very nice cater to their friends and allow them to let their pets lose in the store.  One of their dogs lunged at me.  The owners saw it and looked the other way.  I walked out never to go back again.  It's being 6 years and I'm happy supporting another business who cares about ALL customers.  It's their loss.