Super Contributor

Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

[ Edited ]

Just curious!!!

There's a local mom and pop type coffee shop where the owner basically bends over backwards for his friends, and barely waits on the people he doesn't know..same for some (most) of his employees (who coincidentally were also his friends prior to working there, how do I know..? this is a small town!!!)..they are sweet-sweet-sweet and chat up the people they know, but barely even say 'hello' to people they don't know.. I have heard this happening often at this place, and one kid who worked there even quit because of the boss's apparent  'favoritism' of employees...(the kid is a really nice kid, too..such a shame!!) 

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does..

I see his facebook page and he 'likes' his friends' reviews, but ignores other people's reviews.. Just makes me think maybe he doesn't need the business..? 

I like to support mom and pop shops, and this one is nice with a lot of cool offerings, but honestly, it feels like they only want their friends there..??????

I have gone there several times and only a couple employees are friendly and chatty.. the rest act like I've never been there before, and really don't even say hello..(and I know they rememeber me, but are acting like they don't..or they don't care or don't want to be bothered..)..and for the record, I've not been rude to the owner nor the employees..

So..I know it's not personal, bc I've seen it happen with lots of other people.. 

I guess it's just how the owner is, and the employees just follow suit..? *shrug* 

But would you continue to patronize this place..? Honeslty a lot of times the employees (and the owner) act like they don't want to be bothered..(again, I know it's not personal, but it is still bothersome..)

ETA:  And I am not expecting the owner or employees to bend over backwards like they do for their friends, but being less cold to their regulars would be nice, and also acknowldeging all reviews, not just their friends' reviews..

Valued Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

I don't go back to any place that does not make me feel welcome.  When you work with the public, you need to have your A game on at all times. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you continue to patronize a business that is only friendly to their friends..?

I guess a business person is entitled to operate his business as he sees fit but in a case like the OP cites, it's bound to be reflected in his bottom line.  Perhaps the purpose of his business is to foster his social life, not to enhance his financial status.  I would help him to achieve this goal by staying far away.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure I would go back.  You chose to spend your money there and they should be friendly and acknowledge you.  Sounds like a strange way to run a business. 

Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I guess a business person is entitled to operate his business as he sees fit but in a case like the OP cites, it's bound to be reflected in his bottom line.  Perhaps the purpose of his business is to foster his social life, not to enhance his financial status.  I would help him to achieve this goal by staying far away.

This is exactly how it feels.. Very well said.. thank you.. It is sad, as I really do like the place, but I don't want to impose on his/their social hour, I guess.. *shrug*.. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess I don't really care if the store folks are friendly.  I do care though if they don't help or ring me up like their friends.  I don't like being ignored when I need help or the cashier taking people ahead of me.  If that were the case, I probably wouldn't go there.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GCR18 wrote:

I guess I don't really care if the store folks are friendly.  I do care though if they don't help or ring me up like their friends.  I don't like being ignored when I need help or the cashier taking people ahead of me.  If that were the case, I probably wouldn't go there.

That is a good point, too, and I agree. I guess it is just very noticeable that the owner and emplyees seem to not want to be bothered..in that sense, I guess my question is answered.. if the owner can't even acknowledge all the reviews, and just his friends reviews, then to me that speaks on how he thinks and feels and what he wants.. His friends can pay his bills, I guess.. Guess he does not need the money.. Maybe it is just a hobby for him.. *shrug* 

Honored Contributor

If the food and coffee were good and I enjoyed it I would not care.  If it makes you uncomfotable, try chatting with the owner.  Ask about one of the food items, ask them how long they've been in business, something like that.  Maybe they get the vibe that you would like to be left along.

Yes, maybe it should be that they would chat you up, but life is often not what it should be.  If you'd like to be included, make the first move!  I'll bet after a few times of talking, you'd be part of the "in" crowd too.

Maybe go at some times when they aren't as busy and get acquainted.

Respected Contributor

You could write a review on their website and mention this situation.  If the owner reads all the reviews he will be enlightened and might do something to solve the situation.  If not, I'd go elsewhere.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

If the food and coffee were good and I enjoyed it I would not care.  If it makes you uncomfotable, try chatting with the owner.  Ask about one of the food items, ask them how long they've been in business, something like that.  Maybe they get the vibe that you would like to be left along.

Yes, maybe it should be that they would chat you up, but life is often not what it should be.  If you'd like to be included, make the first move!  I'll bet after a few times of talking, you'd be part of the "in" crowd too.

Maybe go at some times when they aren't as busy and get acquainted.

That is a good point too, and I did try that.. unfortunately the owner looked at me like I have 3 heads and it was just very awkward.. Guess I'm just not part of the cool kids club.. Oh well.. Like someone said, it will reflect in his bottom line.. Perhaps it is just a hobby for him.. Oh well.. 

But I get your point.. And yes, most good business owners would be recepetive.. Smiley Wink Smiley Wink It's fine.. guess I have my answer!! Smiley Wink