Honored Contributor

Would you be upset if your 35 year old daughter chose to get married in a traditional wedding dress...but the color is royal  blue?  I've seen pictures of the dress and it looks lovely.  Very bridal.  Just a very different color for a bride.    My friend is seething and while I have cautioned her about saying anything that will upset her daughter....I think she will.  The bride is 35, the groom 40 and it will be a small wedding and reception in the function room of a local restaurant that does weddings.  The couple has been dating for 3 years and she's happy (she says)  that they are getting married.  She just can't get over that dress.      

Honored Contributor

Re: Would you be upset if.....

No. It's her wedding. It's not about me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree Oh for pete's sake! The bride is 35 years old and mommy should just shut up.

I think a blue dress is just fine. I have seen brides on bridal shows choose other colors than white and I personally see no problem with it.

Respected Contributor

She needs to get over it and keep her opinion to herself.  The only thing she should care about is that her daughter is happy.

Trusted Contributor

No, I wouldn't be upset, but then, (a) she's not my daughter, (b) the daughter is old enough to know what she is doing (who knows? Maybe it's her favorite color🤷‍♀️) and (c) at my age, it would take a lot more than that to upset me.

Esteemed Contributor

Our grown children aren't traditionalists. Give them the gift of freedom. They'll reward you by continuing to visit you and speak to you.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I don't want my grown child interfering in my decisions or choices. If I want an opinion I will ask so I keep my opinions to myself unless I'm asked. 

Honored Contributor

I can see where the mom would be disappointed, I would want to see my daughter in white too. That being said, the daughter is 35 and if she loves the blue dress, the mom should keep her mouth shut. I remember way back in the 50's seeing a picture of my uncle and his new bride, she was wearing what looked like a rose/mauve colored ballet length wedding dress with some kind of cap like head piece. I thought she was beautiful and I doubt if it was usual at that time for a young woman to be married in that color. I wish I would have remembered to ask her about her choice before she got sick and died.

Esteemed Contributor

not at all!  her wedding, her choice  I wish them a happy loving marriage!!

DS (34) is getting married at court house & having a later reception at a VFW.  They are minimalists.  Whatever makes them happy. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Would you be upset if your 35 year old daughter chose to get married in a traditional wedding dress...but the color is royal  blue?  I've seen pictures of the dress and it looks lovely.  Very bridal.  Just a very different color for a bride.    My friend is seething and while I have cautioned her about saying anything that will upset her daughter....I think she will.  The bride is 35, the groom 40 and it will be a small wedding and reception in the function room of a local restaurant that does weddings.  The couple has been dating for 3 years and she's happy (she says)  that they are getting married.  She just can't get over that dress.      

@chrystaltree  She is 35...what color do you expect the dress to be?