Respected Contributor

Well, since your brother is a man, that says it all.  Men usually don't think of inviting anyone to the party.  It's usually left up to a woman.

Does that make sense in this case?

Respected Contributor

I would be a little hurt, but the kind of relationship I had with my brother he would of told me why this time why I wasn't invited. Doing this made me feel better and that it wasn't 'all about me'. 

Afterwards I was fine and happy he was honest with me.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Respected Contributor

Maybe, but still is nice to be personally invited, I would think.But sometimes this way you can have a peaceful Holiday just husband and you. My kind of Holidays anymore !! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny, we just had something similar happen in our family.  My brother hosted a family get together when our nephew was in town.  The nephew’s mom extended invites.  My brother is not that keen on one of my sisters in law.  She was invited by nephew’s mom but didn’t come as my brother did not invite her.  I agree with her decision.  Could have been awkward so she chose not to come.

I am sure it wasn’t intentional.  Probably was arranged by the girlfriend and not your brother.  I’m with you though.  I would be a bit upset but don’t let it impact your long term relationship.  LM

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge

Oh Hedge, I too am sorry if I made you feel bad. I very rarely respond such as I did.  Thank you for coming back and saying something.

That says alot in my book because so few posters do so.  I think sometimes we paraphrase or try to be a little jovial and it isn't interpreted as intended.

We're good.

Honored Contributor

NO, you are like us and stay home and in the A/C

Super Contributor

I would also be upset by not being invited from the way you have described the situation. The only explanation I can think of is that it was more of a celebration for her side, given that it is her 22 year old daughter.Perhaps they thought you would not want to attend? 

Maybe at some time in the future, bring it up to him in a diplomatic way and see what he says.

Esteemed Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

Well, since your brother is a man, that says it all.  Men usually don't think of inviting anyone to the party.  It's usually left up to a woman.

Does that make sense in this case?

Wow, that's a huge generalization.  And not true at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, it would have bothered me.

Your nephew and his wife were there. Seems strange that they were invited, but not you...especially since you live next door.

I wouldn't doubt it if your nephew and his wife had wondered why you weren't there -- or if you had even been invited.

But I wouldn't ask him why you weren't invited.

Esteemed Contributor

@Daisy Sunflower wrote:

Yes, it would have bothered me.

Your nephew and his wife were there. Seems strange that they were invited, but not you...especially since you live next door.

I wouldn't doubt it if your nephew and his wife had wondered why you weren't there -- or if you had even been invited.

But I wouldn't ask him why you weren't invited.

@Daisy Sunflower- the nephew is part of a different story related by another poster not the OP.  The OP lives across the road from her brother who was hosting a birthday party for his girlfriend's daughter.