Honored Contributor

Allegheny - I would be bothered. You are family. You know the girlfriend, your Brother's daughter, nephew, buddies and your brother.

Since you are familiar with so many of the people in attendance. I feel you should have been invited too. Plus, you live next door to one another. He should have invited you. And then you could discuss face to face whether the gathering was for more for the daughter or live in girlfriend. 

You are family and know many people invited. And I know I would say something to my brother next time I saw him. 

Esteemed Contributor

Ouch, that situation would confuse you. Can you take off and go to the movies or keep busy in other ways? Take the high road and overlook the slight. Otherwise, emotions may escalate. Try to enjoy your day. I'm sorry for your frustration.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I might be hurt for a nanosecond but shake it off.  

I sure wouldn’t casually drop in as a few have suggested.

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny

Think I’d be confused & feel a bit left out.

Sorry this happened, hope it turns out to be all OK

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge

Excuse me, I would never usually respond to a post such as yours, but I can't let some of your comments slide, which I consider abrasive and mean from someone who I have never posted with.  I am sorry if came across to you as someone who warrants to be belittled.

I am not sitting here alone, I am here with DH and we had our own holiday; hamburgers on the grill, homemake potato salad and corn on the cob.  So I don't need to go anywhere to see a movie or get a pizza. IYou're correct, I can see the cars as they go up the lane to his driveway, but I am not "keeping score".

And lastly, I am resisting no urge to say anything to my brother or his girlfriend.  That is not how I conduct myself.

By the way, I do like the picture of the cat in your avatar.  I adore cats.

"And what are you doing?

Checking the guest list and keeping score by identifying whose car you can see over there. 

Go out, take a drive, see a movie, get a pizza. 

And resist the urge to ask him why you weren't invited."

Honored Contributor

I would have to ask myself if my brother knew I would be hurt if I wasn't invited to the party. If he does know you would be hurt, then you know where he stands on family unity. If he doesn't have a clue about stuff like that then he's just being himself and no doubt has done this before. I have a relative who has asked me to parties and says she will call me to let me know the particulars and I never hear from her. I know this is how she is and will not let her behavior affect me.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I do know most of the people invited, but that to me is insignificant really. My brother knows me very well, and we are close.  He knows I do not go anywhere without even an off the cuff invite.  He is the same way.  He may have figured we wouldn't attend anyway.  But the way I see it, its never hurts to at least extend an invitation.  This function wasn't a surprise they've been talking about it for a week.

Trusted Contributor

@Allegheny 

Hi, and since you asked, my answer is yes, it would. 

⚓️
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Drythe

Thank you.  As I said in my original post, it is just bothering me a little.  No big deal.  He/she have Thanksgiving and Christmas there with her family and I never give it a thought.  Guess I felt today is just different because the 4th is not really a "family only type" holiday and I have known Monica (daughter) since she was 11.  

Respected Contributor

@Allegheny  I am sorry this has happened.  In my heart I would feel upset that I wasn't invited; although, I do understand why many might feel that one should not. 

I am glad that you and your DH are having your own celebration. BTW, your menu sounds delicious.  I love potato salad.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet