Honored Contributor

Re: Would like opinions please....

@Shanus wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Realistically speaking, not many employers or managers are going to hire a 60 year old who is inexperienced and just starting a new career path.  I was a manager for many years,  supervisor before that there is no way in this world that I would have ever done such a thing.  Even hiring a 60 year old with many years of experience at the job would have been problematic for me. The fact is that HR departments live in dread of age descrimination complaints so if the older employee didn't work out, you are stuck with that person.  I don't think you are too old to change careers or to do the work.  I just think if the idea is to move into a brand new career when you are at retirement age is not likely to happen.  Having said that, if you want to try, do it.  Just know and accept the risks.

@chrystaltree   So encouraging...a ray of sunshine.

She asked for opinions and I respected enough to give her truth.  She's free to do what she wants with my opinion but only someone who is cruel or mean spirited lie to someone about something like this.  The fact is that in the real world, we cannot do everything we want to do at every stage of our lives.  There comes a time when age.....really does matter.  

Super Contributor

Shanus, Chrystaltree, is being realistic. Reality is important when making these kinds of life decisions. It's not all rainbows & sunshine in this lifeSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@dogsx3 wrote:

I am in my early 60s. I have only done part time store work all my life. I am thinking of taking a 3 to 6 month class in phlebotomy. I will need some kind of skill for myself in the near future. Do you think i am too old, or may not get hired? Thanks for any replies.

@dogsx3   is it because you need the money  and desire to keep on working? Or just because you are retired and bored? 

No, i am not bored...i have 3 dogs. It will be because i need the money. I am going to be on a limited limited budget, due to changes in my life.

Trusted Contributor

I respect all your views, and thanks again. I am going to try it and learn all i can. I am going to give it my all, and know... I may not be wanted. I am in my 60's , made many bad life choices, i am pretty good for my age. I am not a sit in chair, not take care of myself type 60, i am a caring nice, gym, 60 type. I have been disrespected for over 30 years, and soon to be on my own. 

Trusted Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

I respect all your views, and thanks again. I am going to try it and learn all i can. I am going to give it my all, and know... I may not be wanted. I am in my 60's , made many bad life choices, i am pretty good for my age. I am not a sit in chair, not take care of myself type 60, i am a caring nice, gym, 60 type. I have been disrespected for over 30 years, and soon to be on my own. 

Forgot to add...I can always sit in my chair.....if i fail.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

The school that you go to may have placement assistance once you complete the courses. My MIL started her bachelors in nursing well into her 50's and went on to get a Master's and she is gainfully employed still in her 70s and she was about your age when she started working. 

Regardless, it's only a three month course and nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

Respected Contributor

@camelot wrote:

I'd consider the cost to benefit ratio. Cost of the education vs. what may be potential earnings? Also, look at the jobs that are available where you want to work? What are their requirements? Do you even like the places that are hiring?

Remember it is a very tedious job. Doing the same exact thing everyday with patients who may not always be pleasant. 

@camelot  and @chrystaltree  both of you have made excellent points.    I also wanted to mention that the op has said she wants to do this part-time.    While I never drew blood from a human, I did many blood draws from animals in our hospital.   In order to become proficient in drawing blood you must do it on a regular basis.   

I'm not sure that being a phlebotomist is a part-time job.   I also have to point out that many of the schools who train for these types of professions are less than honest in giving the students a realistic view of what they are going to face.    It's about drawing the students in and taking their money.   They will tell you what they feel is necessary in order to get you to enroll.    

There's a school here in our area that tells everyone that they will place you in a job after graduation but in reality all they do is give you a list of places where you might apply.  

If spending the money to get the training is not going to be taken from the funds that will be needed in retirement and you feel like this is something you might enjoy, then I say go ahead and get the training.    You seem to have a realistic view of this and I think you will make the right choice for your stage in life.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

The school that you go to may have placement assistance once you complete the courses. My MIL started her bachelors in nursing well into her 50's and went on to get a Master's and she is gainfully employed still in her 70s and she was about your age when she started working. 

Regardless, it's only a three month course and nothing ventured, nothing gained! 

Thanks for your lovely info. I admit i am scared....but i have to try and give it my all. it is a short class, and hoping it works out.

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 wrote:

@GenXmuse wrote:

Thanks for your lovely info. I admit i am scared....but i have to try and give it my all. it is a short class, and hoping it works out.

You're very welcome. And worse case scenario is say, you don't like it or something, it's only three months of your life! 😊

Esteemed Contributor

@Diva on The Q wrote:

@dogsx3: You're bound to get all kinds of opinions on this forum. But the only one that really counts is yours. If this something you really want to accomplish, I say...go for it, no matter what anyone else says. Good luck! Smiley Happy

My thoughts exactly!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖