Honored Contributor

Re: Would like opinions please....

No, you're not too old, however first I'd  call some local hospitals and lab HR departments and ask if they have vacancies and what the demand is for phlebotomists.  Also ask if they can give you an average entey-level starting wage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 No indeed you are not too old!!  I am 61 and I went back to work part-time earlier this year.  You are going into the right career field.  Hospitals and medical offices  where I live hire older workers.  Healthcare workers are always needed.  Good luck to you!!  

Respected Contributor

Here is info from the Bureau of Labor Statistics that you might find helpful.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/healthcare/phlebotomists.htm

I'd never be able to do this job because I have vasovagal syncope triggered by the sight of blood. I never watch my own blood draws, but I'm very grateful to the people who do this work and do it well. It's a valuable skill.

Respected Contributor

You are never to old to learn something new. It might really lead to a job in the future. Even if it doesn't you will have learned a new thing that you seem interested in.

Respected Contributor

Why not?  It's only 9 months which tend to go by quickly, and the end you will have a marketable skill. Sure beats sitting and watching tv. That is, as long as you have the health and stamina.  

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

No, you're not too old, however first I'd  call some local hospitals and lab HR departments and ask if they have vacancies and what the demand is for phlebotomists botomists.  Also ask if they can give you an average entey-level starting wage.

@dogsx3 

My concern would be the accreditation of the school. I would check with the State Agency that award licensing to the school. Do students completing the program at this school have good job skills? Can they pass the required State exams to get a job?

I would want to know the graduation and default loan rate of the school or program. These numbers can tell you how the school is during, and also the students. 

You can find much of the information online. 

The best in your new career. 

Honored Contributor

Why not ask if there are any phlebotomists on this board? Ask them how the job market is for the field. 

Honored Contributor

Assuming you have steady hands and good eyesight, it's something to consider. I've personally noticed a decline in those when I threaded a needle the other day.

Respected Contributor

If you are healthy, this job should not be too strenuous. You can work in homes, in a collection site, or in a health facility. Lots of options and I imagine you can have your choice.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@dogsx3  Why not try something new? From everything I've read, keeping your mind active and learning new things will keep your thinking processes healthier. Go for it! Good luck! 💕