Trusted Contributor

My employer has been encouraging staff to "go home" for over a year now . This trend has been in full swing in the business world for quite some time. No need for the company to set up a physical space with tons of cubicles, work stations, copiers, etc. Our home based people purchase their own PC and supplies. They don't fill up the parking structure or gather around the water cooler. Productivity is monitored closely. I will not go this route because I enjoy the work environment and have a strong social network throughout multiple departments. For some it's a perfect situation, just not for me. What I am considering is setting up at home and then working from home on an inclement weather day.

dee

Trusted Contributor

Re: Working from home?

[ Edited ]

If you are skilled in a particular field the key words you are looking for are "telecommute", "virtual" and "remote" (job location). Legitimate companies rarely state "work from home" so searching that way will either not find many matches or you will end up with a list of scams. 

If you are looking for a basic entry level position just for extra money you have two options. You can become an independent contractor for companies such as Appen, Lionbridge and Leapforce. If you are not familar with 1099s, you can also apply for direct hire customer service jobs with companies such as Amazon, Hyatt, even HSN.

As technology advances and companies realize virtual positions equal a reduction in overhead costs and increased productivity more are doing this type of hiring. Wishing you the best in your search. 

ETA: Disabled persons can contact their local Vocational Rehabiitation office for disabled only virtual positions. If you have an issue, NTI is one of the leading disabled only companies. They will most likely refer you back to VR but you can go in with the information instead of relying on VR to find it for you. 

#IAmTeamWen
Respected Contributor

Re: Working from home?

[ Edited ]

@OfCourse Hi, The company my neighbor used went out of business but she did recommend another named Convergys. Hope this helps & Good Luck.

Valued Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@OfCourse Hi, The company my neighbor used went out of business but she did recommend another named Convergys. Hope this helps & Good Luck.

THans so very much, @kitcat51.  You are a doll.

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago, when my children were small, I worked from home part-time for a well-known home health care agency.  It was a very interesting job, and I really enjoyed it.  I didn't work for the company previously - I just responded to their ad for a work-from-home opportunity.

Not everything that's advertised is a scam.  Yes, lots of them are and of course everyone should be careful.  But there are plenty of completely legitimate ads for jobs out there too, and more so now than ever before.