Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wonder if this is a positive sign about daughter's disability application

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@gulf coast girl. Yes you are correct, it goes to regular SS at 65, however the amount will stay the same, SSD is usually higher, so at 65 you won't have reduced benifts.

You do not see SS doctors but they do review your medical records which come from your doctor.

You do indeed need to see these doctors.  I advise being prepared for any and all examinations by SSA physicians @Nomorebirthdays

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I can only offer best wishes and prayers for you all. But I can do that. Seems like you have plenty of advice here. Best wishes and hope it will get resolved ASAP. 

@hyacinth003

Valued Contributor

I applied for disability 3 times before I got a lawyer to help me. I finally was accepted and was able to collect for several years. I am now over retirement age. Social Security automatically switched me from disibility to retirement Social Security when I hit 66. There was no additional paperwork to fill out, and I didn't have to contact them to change it.

Honored Contributor

You need to find a diagnosis other than fibromyalgia.  I don't believe she can get disability with that diagnosis.  I also highly recommend you try to get another attorney.  I was turned down twice doing it on my own.  Once I got an attorney it took another year and a half, but I was approved.  I did have to go to a hearing but did not have to see one of their doctors.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

This is totally not true.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

@sweetee2 . I don't know what you mean by that.  My husband has been collecting SSD for two years and when he's full retirement age he'll seamlessly start to collect regular SS which in his case is the same as his disability amount.

Actually, when I switched over to regular SS from SSD i got a small amount more each month - around $20.

Trusted Contributor

@itiswhatitis. No, I never saw a SS doctor, my records were submitted to a panel of SS doctors. Upon repeal a federal administration judge reviews panels options and your personal doctors info. That judge makes final decision , judge also decides when disability begins, mine was on the date of my second back surgery. I did not have to but if benefits are denied a second time, a lawyer will appeal to the attorney general of the US.

To whom ever said in varies by state, SS is a federal program, not a state.

People need to talk with SS dept. And a lawyer not uninformed people on the internet.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 What do people live on while they wait for SSD? Their savings I guess , or family. I was fortunate mine was A workman's comp claim and they were completely in the wrong - treating me as if I had a sprained ankle and making me work when, in fact, it was fractured.Finally, I went to a non workman's comp doctor - he said it would now need major reconstruction surgery - and I should sue them. Took his report back to my employer and hired a lawyer. They pretty quickly decided they would get me a SSD lawyer, pay me my workman's comp until I got my SSD and pay for all costs involved in my surgery & rehab. The SSD arttorney they got for me was Binder & Binder from New York City. They were fabulous. 

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 this is a sad thing esp. Since she is so young. You really need a lawyer and advice from SS. Some of the information here is just not accurate. Each case is evaluated for its own merit. I did not to have to see special doctors, age and type of work she does factors in. Mine was quite easy, but I was close to retirement age anyway.

Please see a lawyer.

Honored Contributor

To be brutally honest - your daughter is going to have a real uphill battle to get SSD without a real diagnosis. I don't think they want to give SSD for people with a diagnosis like rule out fibromyalgia - because so many people are being diagnosed with this now.I'm not saying she doesn't deserve SSD - I'm just realistically saying it's not going to be an easy row to hoe. Usually, when the lawyers don't take your case it is because the case can't be won, and they don't want to waste their resources chasing it, since they won't get paid. 

I believe your daughter is a graphic artist - why not try to get some free lance work and work from home on her computer. My BFF's husband is a graphic artist and he had a stroke a couple years ago , so that has been how he has been working for a while now. He also does lovely sketches and water paints then they go to craft shows on the weekends and sell them. His big client is a company that does car wraps - the customer comes to him and he does a design on the computer with the customer , then the company makes the car wrap in his design. He made me an adorable decal for my kitchen aide mixer for Christmas.So these were just some ideas for her to consider.