Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wonder if this is a positive sign about daughter's disability application

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@ccassaday wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hyacinth003  How old is she?   The younger she is, the harder it is to get disability.  Different states are harder as well to get approval. It takes usually at least 4 months for approval, and much longer in many cases.  You may consider getting a  disability lawyer if you find yourself a year or two out with no approval.  Like most government agencies it is hurry up and wait.  It can be very frustrating.

I could be wrong. But in Indiana you won't be approved until you are off work for six months. Mine sat in limbo until that six month. I am not sure anyone will get approved if they are working.

Maybe a dumb question - what do people do to keep living if they don't work at all for months?  My daughter lives with us (wishes she didn't have to!) but what do people do?

Hyacinth

I don't know what people do. I had short term disability from work. So I had that for a few months. I had paid for the long term disability at work and it got approved. So until I got that first disability check I got a crack for $1500 every month. But when SSDI was approved I got a lump sum from when my disability started. But most of it had to go back to the long term disability company. At the time I started receiving my SSDI my LTD payment was reduced to $328.00. So I get my disability plus that little extra every month. I just remember reading your first payment cannot start until that sixth month. Although they do give you back pay when you get that first payment.

Honored Contributor

That's not correct.

You can file for your SS when you are eligible, your disability benefits will be reduced, but you will get both.

But that's way in the future for the OP.

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Got the mail a little while ago.  In it is a request for her to see a psychologist also.

It could be because we did list that she has an ASD (autism spectrum disorder).  Or maybe the unrelenting pain, which many people TRY to assume is in your head when they can't find it or nothing works. 

We were turned down by the disability attorneys that my brother used successfully.  He spent a lot of time interviewing me, then said he wouldn't take the case.  They usually get paid when you get approved, not if you don't.  He did say if she was turned down, to call him again. 

He said the reason he turned her down was her age (20's) and her college degree.  He said even if you cannot, say, find work sitting down, that is your problem, not theirs!  She's so fatigued and having headaches so much also that I am not sure if she could even do that.

I pray all day that my daughter gets help for her pain and weakness.

Hyacinth

Was the doctor able to diagnose her condition? Did he/she mention MS, Fibro or Peripheral Neuropathy? If so, she will be tested for those conditions and prescribed medicine. It sounds crazy but unless it's given a name and she's unable to be treated by regular medication for it, it's highly unlikely that she'll receive Disability. Her life has to be severely impaired, unable to drive, unable to work, etc. also in most cases. If mobility is the only issue (and I know it's a huge one), they will still say she is able to find a job using a wheelchair.

I agree with this. I had 20 years of doctors and was diagnosed in my late teens. So there was a paper trail for my condition for 20 years. At her age it is going to be difficult until she has a paper trail for awhile and a disgnosis.

Honored Contributor

Everyone I've ever know that got approved for SS Disability had an attorney handling their case.  Some people didn't appear to be very disabled. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It's all about the diagnosis.  

For example, a cancer diagnosis is usually fast-tracked, depending on the exact diagnosis.

But as long as she is working, she won't get approved.

I'm so sorry for her situation.   I've never been sick enough to qualify but I've been very sick and just had to work through it & for the most part, I had employer benefits during the times I couldn't work.   I know how tough it is.

@hyacinth003

Esteemed Contributor

You said she has gone to a rheumatologist? Did they do all the appropriate blood work. I think if you want to speed this along she is going to have to quit her job. Your going to have to help her for awhile. You are also going to have to have a official disgnosis. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

Maybe it depends on your state?  Around here, folks we knew had to hire attorneys.   Some lost their homes due to not being able to work because of their truthful, serious medical misfortunes.  Well, maybe things have changed.  Maybe in smaller, less populated areas/states/counties/whatevers it's easier.  I don't know.  Lots of good luck.  Just give it a try, and maybe her lucky stars will be on her side.   Wishing your DD the very best. 

@Yes, @ROMARY 1 :::::: it can and often does depend on the state. 

Even 5 years ago, one would have a better chance of  RECEIVING >>>>*Disability, but not so, as now. 

Those whom really are deserving are often denied.

I have known of _THE_ non candidates jumping through "1" time and receiving. 

If someone can drive, go on trips (air flights), takes long walks and join in social activity, then there should be stiff investigations!

I have followed HYCINs story of her daughter for over 1.5 years; in my accessing, she appears to be apparently the one that needs it. Did her daughter work over 10 years? Do you know? I have had long conversations with her twice last spring. HEARTBREAKING!   

@hyacinth003, HELLO with love. Heart and more :heart 'S'

The regulations are judged by in staff ( not necessarily ) medically inclined. What a bunch of bunk.

Esteemed Contributor

SSDI waiting period. The SSDI program does have a five-month waiting period, starting from the your onset date of disability, during which you won't receive benefits. For more information, see our article on the five-month waiting period.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

@sweetee2 . I don't know what you mean by that.  My husband has been collecting SSD for two years and when he's full retirement age he'll seamlessly start to collect regular SS which in his case is the same as his disability amount.

@haddon9  Yes, you are correct. My little sister was disabled at age 45 and I applied for SSDI in her behalf and after several months she was approved.  When she turned 65 she was then eligible to collect her SS.

Esteemed Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

@sweetee2, that's not accurate.  If a person is on either SSD or SSDI, when they reach their SSA age of retirement it will automatically convert to SS.  It might be lower or more (depending on how much credit a person has in the workforce).

*Call Tyrone*