Respected Contributor

Wonder if this is a positive sign about daughter's disability application

There is nothing really positive about my daughter applying for disability. 

She is in pain and has weakness in her legs that seems worse.  She is having a harder time driving and is going to quit her job this week.  She gets even more pain and weakness, even after only working 4 hours 3 times per week.  She is so intelligent and a good worker.  She feels like she will fall at work, and has fallen 2 times. 

So, she received a letter from the disability administration asking her to go to a doctor that they assigned.  We have submitted reams of paperwork and having been waiting a number of months. 

I have no experience in this area, so I am wondering if this may be a sign she is truly being considered for it, rather than a denial.  Even though my husband and I have advised her to stop working for now, she has tried to hang in there. 

This just breaks my heart every single day.  If she could get some money to live on while we keep pursuing her medical care, it would be so helpful.  Nothing has helped so far.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

Re: Wonder if this is a positive sign about daughter's disability application

This unfortunately is a long and tedious process - be patient - dr. evaluations, hearings - it's not a guarantee for sure.  I worked in SS disability for a very short time and most of the people ended up going back to work because they had no money coming in.  I think the dr. appt is just part of the process, not proof they will approve her.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

Honored Contributor

Do you have a disability lawyer?

It is hard to get approved the first time around. Don't give up.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter had to get an attorney after being denied and it took 2 years....she was unable to work for the last year after applying.....they sent her to a doctor and she waited another year after that

Her case went before a judge and her attorney told her she could still be denied....but they would appeal.

I am not sure your daughter working will help her case......I wouls get an attorney...SO GLAD we did.

Trusted Contributor

My brother got disability much faster than we ever expected.  I believe it was because we had a disability attorney.  I'd advise you get one.

Honored Contributor

Maybe it depends on your state?  Around here, folks we knew had to hire attorneys.   Some lost their homes due to not being able to work because of their truthful, serious medical misfortunes.  Well, maybe things have changed.  Maybe in smaller, less populated areas/states/counties/whatevers it's easier.  I don't know.  Lots of good luck.  Just give it a try, and maybe her lucky stars will be on her side.   Wishing your DD the very best. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

Yes...a doc appt w/one of SS docs is part of the procedure....you should def go through a lawyer.....and it takes about 1 1/2 year............at least that was my friend's experience....

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I don't know how old she is,  I know that once your on disability you can never collect social security, which she would probably get more. 

@sweetee2 . I don't know what you mean by that.  My husband has been collecting SSD for two years and when he's full retirement age he'll seamlessly start to collect regular SS which in his case is the same as his disability amount.