Honored Contributor

Re: Wonder if this is a positive sign about daughter's disability application

[ Edited ]

Many have to get on a special house program (lowers the rent a lot) to be independent. Many don't receive enough ssi/ssdi  income to make it on their own. Some can work a few hours and still collect it (even though physically/mentally disabled). I know a few collecting it. Every 5 years they will review your case thoroughly again, if you are on it long term.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My daughter lives with us.  We support her in almost every way since she can hardly work.  She has resigned her job.  My reading says fibromyalgia is a recognized diagnosis.

For those poking at me/her, it seems you actually HOPE she doesn't get approved.  If your child had lost much of her abilities to do anything, including driving, and being in pain all day, maybe you'd feel differently.  We didn't spend many thousands of dollars and time getting her through college for her to collect disability.  We tried to be good citizens and work through this as much as possible.  We support her, she only works 12 hours/week, her employer has been kind, and she doesn't want to be like this.  If your child said to you every day "Mommy, I hurt so bad," I guarantee your heart would break too.  She works her 4 hours/3 days per week, and comes home and can hardly move.  She's in her 20's for heavens sake. 

We have never applied for ANYTHING in all our lives, so we don't understand "the system."  We are trying to navigate it best we can.  She sees rheumatologist again today, and next week she has appointments with disability doctors for interviews. 

I pray constantly only FOR HER TO GET BETTER, not to get disability.

Most people say she will get turned down the first time.  I guess I can post if that happens so some will be happy.

Hyacinth

No one is poking fun. We are just trying to understand you don't really have a case. She doesn't even have enough work credits for SSDI. She could qualify for SSI. My aunt got it for her autistic son. But it isn't as much money and you have to prove your paying part of your income even to your parents if your living with them. There is either something the doctors are missing or she has some mental issues. 

Respected Contributor

She HAS the official diagnosis of fibromyalgia.  The rheumatologist recommends a pain clinic again.  We will do that.  He gave her a prescription for Tramadol.  Says narcotics don't work.  I have read that, but no one has tried it either. 

This has gone on almost 3 years and I just try to stay calm for her, but inside I am far from calm!  We started the disability process several months ago after more than 2 years of just seeing her go downhill.  We would rather see her just be better than getting disability.  But she is NOT better, she is worse. 

We are NOT experts in how to do this process.  Love to be able to say she was doing better and watching her have a normal life.

Hyacinth

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003. Tramadol is a synthetic form of codeine, it is a controlled drug. Not a true narcotic but is considered a narcotic.

I do not think people are being unkind or hoping your girl gets turned down. From people's life experiences some believe she has issues that may not be physical, and her pain is exacerbated by an underlying condition. Depression is not anything to be ashamed of, it's not fake, it causes pain. Tramadol might mask the pain but it will not cure your daughter. I hope she gets treatment, this is what she needs not SS.

Respected Contributor

I am sorry to be confusing. SSD/SSDI are the same..some people call it Social Security Disabiilty and others call it Social Security Disability Insurance.

Depends on who you speak to and what agency etc..some use SSD and some use SSDI but they ARE one and the same.

Sorry for any confusion on my part.

Honored Contributor

I am sorry if you feel that people are making fun of you, truth hurts at times.

Your daughter does not have enough work credits to qualify, for much she is young and had not worked for more that a few years and is currently working only 12 hours a week.

I have fibro and I knows the pain but I am wondering if there is something else going on fibro is often combined with other aliments to make like miserable.

Also if she is going to be taking Tramadol she can not drive while taking it, it alters your perception and motor skills.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

My daughter lives with us.  We support her in almost every way since she can hardly work.  She has resigned her job.  My reading says fibromyalgia is a recognized diagnosis.

For those poking at me/her, it seems you actually HOPE she doesn't get approved.  If your child had lost much of her abilities to do anything, including driving, and being in pain all day, maybe you'd feel differently.  We didn't spend many thousands of dollars and time getting her through college for her to collect disability.  We tried to be good citizens and work through this as much as possible.  We support her, she only works 12 hours/week, her employer has been kind, and she doesn't want to be like this.  If your child said to you every day "Mommy, I hurt so bad," I guarantee your heart would break too.  She works her 4 hours/3 days per week, and comes home and can hardly move.  She's in her 20's for heavens sake. 

We have never applied for ANYTHING in all our lives, so we don't understand "the system."  We are trying to navigate it best we can.  She sees rheumatologist again today, and next week she has appointments with disability doctors for interviews. 

Most people say she will get turned down the first time.  I guess I can post if that happens so some will be happy.

Hyacinth

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

@I am still oxox. Op does not post dosage of tramadol, her weight, other meds, etc. My bottle does not say no driving but use caution. I am starting to belive mom is in denial of underlying mental health issues, depression issues that her daughter may have. 

Trusted Contributor

I wish you and your family only the best.  I certainly do  not understand the system. It seems like some people glide right through the process and others never get approved.  I only have only one time dealt with someone who tried to get on disability and it was a co-worker of mine.  She was in her later forties and was layed off her job, and had a hard time finding another job.  She found work after about 3 years and it was an office type job.  The next thing I heard from her was she wasnt working again after about 6 months, why I asked, because her  feet hurt, she had  bad FEET!! I worked with her for over 10 years and never heard mention of hurting feet!  She is now in her fifities lives off her disability and will never work again, I just do not understand that one..shaking my head over that one still today.  But truly best of luck to your daughter, I wish she could get some relief.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am sorry if you feel that people are making fun of you, truth hurts at times.

Your daughter does not have enough work credits to qualify, for much she is young and had not worked for more that a few years and is currently working only 12 hours a week.

I have fibro and I knows the pain but I am wondering if there is something else going on fibro is often combined with other aliments to make like miserable.

Also if she is going to be taking Tramadol she can not drive while taking it, it alters your perception and motor skills.

@hyacinth003 wrote:

Hyacinth

@I am still oxox, her daughter would qualify for SSI.  It is a smaller amount with the maximum being about $730.00 per month, so she does qualify for something.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003, keep at it if your daughter is in considerable pain.  Good luck!

*Call Tyrone*