Respected Contributor

Re: Woke up thinking about Thanksgiving plans - what are your's?

We swore off traveling on Thanksgiving weekend a couple of years ago after it took us 5 1/2 hours to drive from Philly to Northern Virginia in a hellacious rain storm. Instead, we started going to our favorite sports pub for their delicious Thanksgiving dinner special. If they're still offering it this year, we'll go there and eat in. If not, I'll get a turkey breast. I've already got most of the other components for a Thanksgiving dinner and dessert in the pantry. Fingers crossed that the sports pub's servingdinner! 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Honored Contributor

Zero plans. 

Valued Contributor

My adult son says he is going to his dads for thanksgiving this year, which is okay and his right. I don't know what we will do. Was considering asking my sister to visit or going to see her. Often, we go on vacation at this time. Was in the emergency room last week with a sick relative and the COVID side was absolutely packed. Had to go to this ER due to my relatives past history of surgery there and the doctor being on staff and taking care of this via telephone while there. That day, the ER was slammed when it had been more normal for weeks. We were there 8 hours, 4 in the waiting room. When we were given a room in the back, there were 28 people waiting to go back to an ER room. When we left 4 hours later, the line was down to 21 people waiting. As I walked out upon discharge, I glanced at the COVID patient side of the waiting room and just felt great compassion as they looked miserable each and every one. This is a major hospital and the ER had huge air cleaners installed in the hallways going to the rooms in the sections they were seeing the COVID patients. We had to walk past all this on the way to our section. I try not to live in fear, and I take care of myself, but this made me pause. So I am not sure what we will do. We are staying home right now due to possible exposure. 

Respected Contributor

My sister in law usually hosts Thanksgiving.  It is usually a small gathering- just her and her husbhand, her father in law, my husband, me and my two girls.  But last year, my SIL invited my aunt, her boyfriend and her daughter since they had no where to go.  My aunt's boyfriend is a lung transplant patient and I don't think it is a good idea to expose him.  So we may just stay home for Thanksgiving with me, my husband and two young adult daughters who are currently living at home with us.  Probably will be the same situation for Christmas which we usually have at our house. 

Honored Contributor

My sisiter in law has it every year and has invited us again for this year.  She's about an hour away and there will probably be around 10 people.  

So far at this point I'm not 100% sure if we will go and she understands as it will be too cold to do it mostly outdoors.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No changes for me. I'll be at the beach. I don't like the majority of "traditional" Thanksgiving foods, so a day or two before the holiday, I'll go to the seafood market and see what's fresh. Shrimp, scallops, stone crab....whatever. I'll probably play golf in the morning and lounge on the beach in the afternoon. I'll fix my meal around dinner time or maybe a little earlier if I'm hungry. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

Our DS, DIL, and grandsons will be here.  I do the whole turkey meal with lots of leftovers.

My first cousin may come.  My other first cousin, whom was in the Air Force, moved to Ohio years ago.  We rarely see them.

Honored Contributor

We usually go out for holidays, this year we will stay home and have a simple dinner.

Super Contributor

Nothing has changed for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  Everyone comes to my house for both. We all live local, so no one has to travel. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just hubby and I cooking for our adult children and their significant others.  I stated in another post they all work in the medical field except for my son but he is tested frequently for his job as are they.    I'm comfortable with it, I won't be without them for our annual turkey dinner and watching of the Wizard of Oz for the millionth time, LOL.......I would not trade it for the world!

@fthunt  I believe I fall in Category C!