Esteemed Contributor

Re: Woke up thinking about Thanksgiving plans - what are your's?

Planning stages for me and it's encouraging to hear y'all keeping life simple as well. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I used to do both Thanksgiving and Christmas. My daughter took over Christmas  as I have slowed down a tad. I really appreciate her offering.  I still want to do Thanksgiving but it will have to be different.  I have decided to do some make ahead casseroles this year.  The girls in the family have always offered to bring something  so that really helps.  It will be different but they can still get their   turkey and dressing on Christmas at DD's.  It was hard for me to give up Christmas but my body tells me it's time to swallow my pride and let it go.  I think it's called "adapting"!!!!!!   

@jubilant I see it as being a big enough person to let your daughter assume her role as an adult and the focus of hosting the celebration!  I admire you!  

Super Contributor

I love Thanksgiving !!!!   My sister has more room and outfoor space for the kids so she will host...we will be maybe 12 to 16 people

Trusted Contributor

Our family has not discussed it yet. 

There are 11 of us, and we were able to get together several times outside in yards/on decks this summer.  With 2 grandsons returning from college, I am nervous about all of us together inside the house.  Since we live in Minnesota, the possibility of dinner on the deck is out.

I will probably just do dinner for the 2 of us, and FaceTime with everyone in the evening.  I am thankful that we are all well! 

Esteemed Contributor

@jeanlake  Funny you should ask! We usually host T-Day for our family. I found out from my children they are all planning to come home for Thanksgiving! They live 4 to 5 hours away, but we have been gathering every 2 months or so since this whole thing started, so we feel pretty comfortable with each other. So, that's 15 of us. Some have had Covid and some have not. THEN, I just found out my brother and SIL are planning on coming. Still waiting to hear from my other brother and his family. If everyone attends, we will probably be illegal! Smiley Frustrated Both my SIL's are nurses, and one brother is a research scientist at John's Hopkins, so I'm guessing they will know what we need to do to stay safe when we have gathered. I'm not terribly worried for myself and my DH. All the grandchildren are already either back at school or in sports, so I'm pretty sure they will have been exposed well before the end of November. Of course, if they are quarantining, they won't attend. 

Honored Contributor

Generally my husband and I go away for a few days...car trip....not sure what we will do yet.  We can go to friends house but it's over crowded and noisy....but, we do appreciate the invite.

Honored Contributor

We had begun some new traditions just a couple of years ago, concerning Thanksgiving, but this year will most likely be even more different. 

I stopped cooking big dinner several years ago. We were going to an Amish buffet and having a great time doing so. It was a long ride in the country, and great food. For just the four of us, it was so much more enjoyable than all the work of that big meal. 

Then my son started having girl friends and their family to work around, so we came up with another new tradition. My son (24 years old and living on his own now) has always loved the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. After moving out, he didn't have tv, so would come home early Thanksgiving morning to watch the parade. We decided to make breakfast, all gather and watch the parade (and nap through part of it) then put in a Christmas movie like Home Alone, and munch on snacks. 

In the late afternoon/evening, he and his girl could go off to any of her family's dinner. I loved this new tradition, but with Covid and no real parade this year, I guess even that new tradtion is on hold. Frustrating.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We've been seeing our granddaughters only in outdoor settings. End of November? Eh...even w/ outdoor heaters, it'll be fairly cold by then. 

I think it'll be Hubby, me and a turkey burger for Molly. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My family is waiting to see how it goes, if we can't get together for Thanksgiving then I'll spent the day with my cat & dinner will be a small turkey with all the trimmings... I won't be happy about it but homemade stuffing makes everything better.

Esteemed Contributor

It sounds like we're all trying to be flexible and accept our circumstances. Oldest daughter in AZ has her in-law traditions for Thanks and Christmas, which is fine. And I get it - warmer weather and strong-willed in-laws. Daughter is a peace keeper so we make it easy on her. She and family gather with us in January, when she has days off from teaching. We get thanks and credit for being the flexible parents. I'm sure some of you can relate.

My son and his young sons live about 4 miles from us. I asked son what his ideal Thanksgiving would be this year and he said, family walk in the woods with dog before late lunch. Pre-order from our fave Italian restaurant. Domino game. We won't be doing traditional evening at the movie theatre this year. 

Youngest daughter will be with us in late November. She lives in New Jersey and is recovering from covid. She received a positive reading the same day she was furloughed from airlines. She said she was officially cancelling 2020. Thankfully, she's only been ill for a week and is on the upside now. 

I think I'll use my son's ideas and ask grandsons to give me dessert ideas. 

Enjoy reading about your plans. You've helped me feel better about keeping it simple.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau