Honored Contributor

Starts tomorrow at 11:28 a.m. Eastern time.  Then we start getting back a little more light each day. So winter is officially here tomorrow.  Shortest day of the year.

Esteemed Contributor

Bring it on! Ready for longer days, sunshine and warm weather. Come on Mother Nature. . 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Here in Anchorage, Alaska sunrise is at 10:14 am and sunset is at 3:40 pm. I’m ready for some light.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm grateful to live in the lower 48!! Afraid I'd be a fiece woman to live with under those circumstances. LOL

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

Re: Winter solstice

[ Edited ]

Onward to my favorite day of the year!!!!

It's NOT Christmas!!

It's JUNE 21st!!!...The LONGEST day of the year....with the most pleasant weather!!!! ( where I live)....

When I was working, I always took two weeks off around the 21st of June. My workday was 7am to 330PM, so it was almost like having TWO days off for each one used, because the day is light for 15 hours 15  minutes here on the East Coast where I live.

I wanted to wring every drop out of summertime.....!

Dec 21, the shortest day, will be 9 hours and 8 minutes of daylight where I live.

Honored Contributor

@traveler wrote:

Here in Anchorage, Alaska sunrise is at 10:14 am and sunset is at 3:40 pm. I’m ready for some light.

@traveler  I have been counting the days til the winter solstice and do that every year. It also is the beginning of when I start thinking about plans for our gardens. By the end of January I start sowing seeds in the basement and a couple of weeks later...early-mid February the birds start their Spring migration. That's when my mood really starts to improve.

Where you live with such short days, how long does it take before you actually feel a difference from the start of the shortest day?  At least the number of minutes more daylight you get back each day is almost double to what we get here. I guess maybe it might take you a month to really feel/see a difference. For us hear it would take a couple of months Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ie3EhT-DSAk/VndrMAYNH7I/AAAAAAAAiM4/dqc7y4CraQs/s1600/winter%2Bsolstice.jpg

Respected Contributor

Winter was late for us this year, it just arrived today.  The wind has been blowing strongly all day and now the snow has arrived.  We're expected to have about 4 inches of snow tonight.

Respected Contributor

Down here in the lower latitudes, the shorter daylight hours are less noticeable than back up north. Also the fact that I can go out in the sun and work in my gardens all year, help keep me in better spirits. No cabin fever here like there.

Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Where I live now , in Florida, we get about a half hour more daylight AM & PM than when we lived in the north. However, many mornings , like today, we have so much fog we can't even see the furniture on the lanai, & it doesn't lift until about 10AM. I hate if we have to go out or drive in the fog, & it is just generally eerie feeling.