Super Contributor

Re: Why would she do this ????

[ Edited ]

The grooms mother is at fault here, she should of waited to hear from

her future DIL for all the wedding details, never go out and buy an outfit before

hearing what the colors the bride has chosen.

Her son is correct in asking his mom to return everything.  She should call her future DIL and start over.

Yes!, There are worse things in the world but a bride has waited all her life

for this big day, so everyone should co-operate with the bride and groom...

Respected Contributor

Having read all the responses, all I can say is that I find it extremely telling about the MOG's attitude, is that the first thing she did after hearing about the wedding was to go shopping for herself. No questions about the kind of wedding, location or any specifics, and no offer to help in any way. The MOG appears only concerned with her wants and doesn't care about anyone else involved. Can we say selfish? I feel badly for this bride and groom, although after 10 years they must know how selfish and self absorbed his mother is.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

It is a woman who is making a statement to the world that her son will put her first and life in his marriage will be HER way and not his new wife's way.  

She WILL force her son to make a choice, to take sides, and to take the beatings.  If it isn't over this, it will be the next thing down the road and the next and the next.  

There is absolutely no other reason for her not to defer to her future daughter-in-law about HER and her son's wedding.  What is getting a dress in a color the girl likes going to hurt her?  Nada, nothing zip.  She's going to cry and whine and poor me so that all the attention will be on her, not the bride.

Been there, done that and SEEN it done!  One woman was so adept at it that her son's marriage didn't make it 6 months. 

When you see this going on, think: Would this hurt or inconvenience the woman in any way?  If you can't think of one, it is a pure and simple power play.

No, I didn't have time to read all responses, but in situations like this, this is my take on it. 

Ridiculous! Read all the posts, you are so off base. That DIL will bring her nothing but misery. Probably the son too. Bride needs to grow up and son needs to stand up.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Future mother in law shouldn’t have said anything. 

She bought the dress she loves, it fits and she can wear it for any occasion she wishes.

When the bride decides which color she wants her mom to wear and mother in law to wear, future mother in law can purchase a dress in that color and wear it to the wedding. I see this as a win-win, two dresses for different occasions.

She needs to swallow her pride and apologize, it’s her son’s future wife and grand children will follow, and in the future She should engage brain before opening mouth.

Trusted Contributor

(An attempt at light hearted humor):

Picturing the Spencer Tracy/Steve Martin character in Father of The Bride Woman LOL

Cute movie although the bride sure was a bride-zilla! 

dee

Honored Contributor

Instead of spending all this money on a wedding, go elope and use the money for a down payment on a home.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When my DS was married, my sweet DIL didn't tell the mothers what to wear.  That's just not her style.  So I picked out a dress in a color that coordinated with the bridesmaids and was appropriate to the season.  Unfortunately, my father in law's (the groom's grandfather) wife decided to copy the exact color of my dress in a similar style.  She popped up with it the day of the wedding, saying that she had just "changed her mind" about the original dress she had shown me.  So we looked like twins in all of the wedding pictures. (Grandfather's second wife, only 2 years older than me.) I never said a thing, to keep the peace, but I definitely wasn't happy. People can get pretty weird about wedding stuff. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

My DD is getting married next April.  When she asked my how much her father & I would be willing to "pitch in" for the wedding her father and I discussed it and told her we'd give her "X" amount, she said thanks.  I know what we're offering her will pay for about 2/3 of the cost of the wedding, after that it's up to her and her fiancee.  She's already booked the place and we said "it's great", when she showed me her dress I said "it's beautiful"!  I will continue to say "it's great" and "it's beautiful", it's their wedding, I've had mine.  She told me I could wear whatever I wanted and I said "that's great"!  I refuse to have drama over a wedding!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

• @San Antonio Gal wrote:

Instead of spending all this money on a wedding, go elope and use the money for a down payment on a home.

Maybe they already own a home.   Or maybe home ownership isn’t of interest to them.  Unless I missed something, we have no idea how much this wedding will cost or how much the couple can afford ( not that it’s our business anyway).   Eloping works for some couples, but not all.   If they want to have a wedding, they should do so.    I have no problem with  people deciding what works best for them even if their decisions are not exactly the same decisions I would make for myself. 

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom Best to just elope , less conflicts, and much friendlier on the wallet.