Trusted Contributor

Re: Why do I have to pay $19.95 for a phone number?

It should show up if they have a regular landline. I think the problem now is that a lot of people who still use a home phone have gone to VOIP through thier cable company or something like Vonage so those don't show up.

Honored Contributor

I found a local 2017 phone book today.  It was mostly yellow pages and ads.  I flipped through the white pages, looking for numbers for some of my family and friends.  None of us were listed. 

It went into the recycle bin.  I think most people don’t want their numbers listed these days. 

Respected Contributor

I had several unfamiliar numbers on my phone I wanted more info on. I tried several online reverse phone number services claiming to be "free," but none of them were.

Someone suggested calling 411. Since you rarely get to speak to a person, I don't see how that would be helpful. Any clues?

Valued Contributor

Thanks  and good info.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne       411 is an automated service, and it rarely understands the names of people today. The last time I tried to use it for a doctor. Who knows where that doctor is from, and his name isn't easy. The system didn't get close to "hearing" the name right. It gave me what it "thought" I said and then hung up. You don't get the chance to say, No, that's not what I said, and try again. You get 1 shot at it hearing you and coming up with a name. To add to that problem, 411 isn't free. I'm not sure the cost today, but it used to be 75 cents for that 1 shot at finding the number you need. Sort of expensive when it comes up with the wrong answer and you either try again or give up.

I didn't even get a telephone directory from any company this year. We usually get 3 total from different companies starting in April. But, this year there have been none.

I noticed a couple of years ago that they stopped including the city maps in the directories. Those were always nice to have because new streets are always being added to the different towns. But, no maps now that there are GPS units, Google and Mapquest. I still like to see a paper map that doesn't tell you to turn into a corn field.

Honored Contributor

Where I live, doctors and business are featured on the right side of the search page, with numbers, pictures, and hours.  Residence numbers are gradually being withdrawn over the years from all the sites.  I use Google Chrome if that has anything to do with it.  Very frustrating.  

Honored Contributor

@shopperqvc 

I get a person when I call 411 and there is no charge on my phone for it.  It may be different in other areas. 

QVC Customer Care

Contributor

@riley1 wrote:

Just used anywho dot com the other day to check a number. It was free unless you wanted detailed report/information then you had to pay.

thanks!  Didn't know about that one.

QVC Customer Care