Esteemed Contributor

Why are some women so vicious to other women at work?

I don't get it! Women should support other women, but some women are incredibly vicious, back-stabbing, and malicious to other women at work. I experinced this today and I'm having a really hard time shaking it off. (1) have others of you seen this in the workplace---and (2) what's your theory about why this happens?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why are some women so vicious to other women at work?

@Goldengate8361

It's Friday and just let these small minded people go.  They are not thinking about you. Don't let them take your energy or use up your evening being upset.  You are not getting paid right now.  Go get a drink , play with the kids or hubbie,  do a work out tape or get under some covers and watch some tv.

Honored Contributor

I think some women try to ingratiate themselves with men, by putting other women down, I've seen it and it is sad and demeaning.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know. I have seen women in the workplace act like you are describing, and at first I thought they were just insecure. I think sometimes that may be the case, but I honestly think that some women are just unhappy and are determined to try to make everyone else as unhappy as they are.

Please don't let the nastiness ruin your weekend.

Respected Contributor

A lot of times it is a power trip or jealousy/envy. Just let it go, now that you are home. Realize some people really get off putting women down.  Just remember you are better than that and ignore them and when they see you have no time for that busy body junk you will feel better and they won't bother you. It sounds like these women need to grow up.

Go and treat yourself or like someone said get under the covers and watch a good movie. 

Trusted Contributor

Ah, yes ~ the female coworkers!  Yes, I've experienced it (and no, I don't miss it)!  I agree with @hopi on this ~ let it go and don't EVER let people like that take your energy and ruin your evening.  Trust me, a year from now you won't even remember their names!  I'm sorry you had to experience the toxicity of the miserable, but believe this ~ living well is the best revenge!  Have a good weekend!

Honored Contributor

Lots of women use _ex appeal to get ahead at the work place and try to root out the other women through this tactic.  Too often it works.  Then women complain about men keeping them down the latter and want to support "other" women (read women who are no threat to them).  

I was a huge supporter of the ERA.  Now I think it's time for women to quit complaining, treat everyone at work fairly, men and women, and get ahead through your talent and abilities and hard work. I think the time has come. 

May not be a popular view, but I don't think women are any more discriminated against that a lot of other people at work.  

Super Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

I don't get it! Women should support other women, but some women are incredibly vicious, back-stabbing, and malicious to other women at work. I experinced this today and I'm having a really hard time shaking it off. (1) have others of you seen this in the workplace---and (2) what's your theory about why this happens?

Goldengate I don't know what to tell you.   You sound like a caring wonderful woman but not all women believe that they are in this world to support other women.   All you can do is be true to yourself and live by your beliefs and values.   I hope that you have a great weekend.   Take care.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 ~ I certainly have.  I feel much of this horrible behavior is due to lots of frustration, anger and jealousy.  Lots of people hold grudges which fester into all of the above.  Unfortunately, some people are simply mean.  Sorry that became part of your day, don't let it ruin your weekend.☘️

Honored Contributor

I have experienced it.I think women are more dog eat dog than most men in the workplace.I think women are more aggressive when it comes to their careers than men...just trying to get ahead,get the edge or rise to the top, women seem to be extremely competitive.