Trusted Contributor

Re: Why Bother? I Don't Understand ...

Neighbors bite.  Many of you know of my neighbor issues that I have vented about on this forum.  As for this situation, I agree that the email is 100% to cover his rear.  When I was having issues with a neighbor many people suggested I take photos ~ you may want to do the same.  Situations such as this are the exact reason my next home will be on at least 15 acres.

Esteemed Contributor

@RinaRina wrote:

@makena wrote:

Maybe he's just letting you know he's trying to stay on top of things.  It'ss just a informative email. 

Were you friends?  I'm guessing you were because you have each other's email addresses.

Yes, we were -- sort of.  His daughter lives next door and I let his grandchildren play in my back yard. 

When the branches started falling (BIG ONES!), I got scared, and for the safety of his grandkids (as well as myself)  told him and his daughter they needed to tend to the trees. 

They did NOTHING.  So, now they don't speak to me.

@Oh well ... if they want to act like @$$es about it, then that's on them.

We all suffered because of his indifference. But I guess they don't see it that way. 

I'm just stunned at his bad manners.  He never offered even an apology despite the problem being ongoing for years.

Did his insurance company pay you for the damages caused by his trees?  That, more than a thousand apologies would have meant a a lot more to you.  Yes, the e-mail he sent to you was to let the insurance company know he was being a good boy by fixing the problems in his yard.  It was also to let you know he is complying with the instructions from the insurance company so it was actually a two fold e-mail and not just all about him as some stated. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@TeezNu wrote:

@RinaRina wrote:

I don't understand some people.  Remember this?

If you don't, the short version is below ...
My neighbor's diseased old trees fall in my yard and each time, he expects my insurance to cover it.  The first time, I covered because I didn't know any better.  But the 2nd time, NO!  Because I found out what the law is ---
HIS insurance co. found him negligent and covered my damage.
WHY did he send me an email advising me that he has cleaned up the "weather-related" damage in HIS yard.  The email states he has cut back his trees and branches.
Well, duhhhhh!  We HAD this discussion BEFORE the tree fell AGAIN.
OMG! 
It's as if HIS insurance didn't tell him, THEY did an investigation and HE was at fault.
Trimming back your sick, half-dead trees after-the-fact doesn't erase the inconvenience I've had to go thru to fix my damages .. to my house, my yard, replacing my fence, shed, etc.
I don't understand some people.  Is he just "needling" me on purpose?
Or is he really this inconsiderate?
Why bother irritating a sore wound that hasn't healed.

Of course, I'm just speculating, but I don't think he is needling you, or being inconsiderate.  I suspect he is DOCUMENTING, via his email to you, that he has completed the work that caused the problem, or that might create any new issues in the near future.  Therefore, if you or your insurance company try to come back at him, he will have this documentation.  If you disagree with the statement in his email, you should respond via email to document your position.  Pictures would be helpful, too.

I agree.  He's simply communicating.  And yes, documenting that he has followed through.

There's nothing wrong with it, and in fact it's advisable.  In the same situation, I would do the exact same thing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

In a word, documentation.

He now has proof that you were notified, in writing, that he is taking care of the problem, should you try to sue him again.

And he most likely sent a copy of the email to his insurance company, so they know that you know that he is taking care of the problem, should you try to sue him again.

And I'm guessing that he was advised to do it.  It makes perfect sense to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Did his insurance company pay you for the damages caused by his trees?  That, more than a thousand apologies would have meant a a lot more to you.  Yes, the e-mail he sent to you was to let the insurance company know he was being a good boy by fixing the problems in his yard.  It was also to let you know he is complying with the instructions from the insurance company so it was actually a two fold e-mail and not just all about him as some stated. 

Yes, his insurance paid me (because it was his negligence).

Regarding the "apology" - what bothers me is, his whole family (and there are a lot of them, all in one block-4 houses full) acts like it wasn't his fault.  I guess they thought I was so "nice", I'd just keep paying everytime it happened.  In retrospect, they've really taken advantage of me in countless ways.  At some point, I just had to draw the line.  So, for me personally, an apology would've have meant a lot.  In fact, had he apologized and offered to cover my some of my deductible, I probably would have let the whole thing go.  Apologies mean a lot to me, and I guess, I just got sick of them being inconsiderate.  Nobody, no matter how much money or how many houses they have, should feel entitled to #* over anyone else in the neighborhood (and I told him so).

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

UNBELIEVABLE!

I just saw the daughter when I was working in my yard.  I told her that I wanted to let her know that what happened with the tree had nothing to do with her.

She said I was being mean because "my father apologized".

Uh?????

No he did NOT!  I told her he didn't apologize and had he at least apologized (as I've stated right here on this board) I might have just let the whole thing go.

She said it was "mother nature".

Uh????

Her father's insurance co. did an investigation and found him guilty of negligence.

I didn't say anything about the investigation because I could feel an "arugment" coming.

These people are in total denial.

Unbelievable!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RinaRina I am not condoning his actions, but if I have learned anything from the past it is to document everything ,even if you think it is trivial, he said, she said happens all too often these days not to have the proper documentation, even in family matters sadly to say, I might say one thing and then it is told to everyone else and it is not what I said at all and there are several versions floating around out there, it is the way of the world now!

Respected Contributor

CareBears,

I got ONE email from him while all this was going on.  There was NO apology.

Honored Contributor

the insurance paid for all of your damages.

he didnt formally apologize, but he DID contact his insurance company to take care of the problems.

i think it is now time to let it go.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

the insurance paid for all of your damages.

he didnt formally apologize, but he DID contact his insurance company to take care of the problems.

i think it is now time to let it go.......

For sure!  That conversation today did it for me.

FINITO!

I'm done with them!