Trusted Contributor

Re: Who will decide when you retire?

My employer really decided for me.  They “reorganized”  the older workers out and it was a shrinking industry, so there just weren’t jobs to be had as replacements for older workers.  I was panicked at first.  I loved what I did (but hated all the travel) and I thought I would lose my purpose in life.  I also worried there would not be enough money for the rest of life.  How do you ever know how much you really need when you don’t know how much things will cost in the future, how long you will live and what challenges you will face?  Now…I am soooooo happy & grateful that happened!  I love my life in retirement, am busier than I have ever been (OK, I admit I am also slower so everything takes longer), and I love being able to take a guilt-free nap whenever I want one.  So far, while I do see that the income will stay flat for the rest of my life, the costs for everything keeps rising.  But, thanks to our financial planner, I see that there are “raises” structured into financial plan throughout our future.  I look back on my job with fond memories but never wishing I had a job now.  I am loving life…that is a good way to go out, whenever the time comes – meanwhile, it is sit back & enjoy!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I've been making my own decisions since 1975, 42 years ago.  Some good, some bad, but always my own.  I can't imagine anyone telling me what to do or not to do.  I had planned to retire at 70, but instead did so at 66 to move to the shore where three of my girls lived.  I bought a lovely little retirement house in a 55+ community and completely redecorated it and added on to it.  I loved it.  My sister lived with me at the time.

Six months later I was diagnosed with RA, and soon after that came the crash.  I had to sell and suffered a significant loss.  Then I lost my beloved sister.  My life changed completely after that.

Nothing would have changed my getting sick, nor my beloved sister's death.  However, I would have been better off financially if I had not moved and put so much money into the retirement home.

We never know what's going to happen even one day from now, let alone six months, so I now take it that one day at a time.  Plan ahead, yes, but don't assume that plan is going to be fulfilled.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

I decided when to retire.  Of course I discussed it with my husband, but it was my decision.