Honored Contributor

Re: Who says commercials don't have affect on us -- Honda did on me!!!

@hckynut

I feel as if some are taking this statement "to literally" - I guess my sense of humor didn't come across well!

My father did the same as you yet always told us "if you can afford it -- enjoy" life.

I am heeding to his advice as I enter the first stages of being a "senior citizen" heck I was excited to get my discounts!  He worked and sacrificed & saved for his "rainy" day -- sadly he died at 60 and never got to enjoy it!

I worked long and many hours, raised my children & I retired at age 48 and I'm now enjoying the benefits of it as I start the "golden years!"

I'm sorry if my post came across as "irresponsible" as I am far from that! 

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123

Burgundy metallic.

Respected Contributor

I am the opposite. I had Nisson Maxima for twelve years. I loved it. My husband finally talked me into a new one. It is a Honda Accord. It is ok. The car before that was a Chevy SS black. It was my favorite. 

Super Contributor

beautiful car!!!  I would never, ever impulse buy one, but I'm a n a l & a mba in finance. Nerd.  I research big ticket items to death, not sure that's a good thing!!

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1

That's exciting--good for you enjoy that beautiful car.

I'm afraid my husband and I are the type who research and take

a while before we take the plunge; and maybe that's not so great.

When we were younger, my husband had a very close friend who would

buy cars impulsively.  After dinner with him and his wife, we told him

about a car that we had seen in a nearby dealership.  We walked over,

he took a look at it, test drove it, and bought it!  We were much much

more conservative and careful. 

Life is short.  This same guy ended up passing away at the age of 58

quite unexpectedly.  Both my husband and I have thought about him a lot

and are glad he always enjoyed his cars and had the courage to buy

them rather impulsively.

I wish you the best, and it sounds like you are a successful person

who has worked hard, and enjoys life.  That is wonderful.

Respected Contributor

Enjoy your new car.

I want a Lincoln because of those ads featuring Matthew McConaughey, lol.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Expensive purchases made on impulse are usually ill-advised.

Re: Your favorite commercial, observe the male singer in the foreground.  Is he not the young man who often appears with Flo on the Progressive Insurance commercials?

@Kachina624   You can say that again!!   I bought a candy-apple red car "on impulse".......it was standing out in the sun and beckoned me like a gleaming ruby.    I've had it 2 years, and I'm sick of the color.   di

I understand @Desertdi.  I've been driving a bright orange SUV since 2003.  I drive my cars until they just won't go anymore.  This SUV is 13 years old and just barely has 52,000 miles on it.  Why would I want a newer one?  I had a Honda Accord that was undependable and had transmission problems.  At least my SUV always starts and runs well.

@Kachina624   I probably hold "the record"..........once kept a car for 33 years..........I loved the thing...........but "big parts" started falling out the bottom(!)    My next "car" will probably be a golf cart...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@nomless wrote:

Enjoy your new car.

I want a Lincoln because of those ads featuring Matthew McConaughey, lol.

I am not a great fan of his but I do like those ads.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your post made me smile, @homedecor1. Back in 2001, I bought a 2001 Inferno Red PT Cruiser. No bells and whistles, just a manual tranny, CD player, AC, and moonroof. It was a basic car. Bought it on the spur of the moment. I really liked the Cruisers anyway and when I was stopped at a red light, I happened to look over at the car dealership....and there he was. All bright and shiny. And red. So very red. I stopped in and I drove him home that very night. I wanted that car. Badly. 

That was almost 17 years ago. I still have that car. His name is Clarence and you will pry the keys to that car out of my cold, dead hands. I love that car. A couple years ago, he needed a new clutch, last year he needed tires and brakes. Oh, and a new battery. He's in the garage now for an oil change. And I'm having an estimate done now on a new paint job....Inferno Red again. His dashboard has a couple cracks in it, but really, he's still in good shape. Best impulse buy I think I ever made in my life. He has a little less than 150,000 miles. I think he's good for a few more.

I have a Hyundai Tucson Limited with all the bells and whistles that I drive during the winter. Once the snow starts to fly, Clarence goes into storage until the snow melts again. I love driving that Cruiser! In the summer, when the sun is shining, I'm tooling around town in my red Cruiser with the moon roof open and the music blaring away. And life is good.

I hope you enjoy your impulse Honda as much as I've enjoyed my impulse Cruiser.