Trusted Contributor

Re: Who Was Your Craziest/Most Interesting Teacher

[ Edited ]

Elementary school:

Mrs. Hellie -- a plump little Norwegian woman with her white hair in a topknot who would use her third finger knuckle to bop kids in the center of the top of their heads as discipline. Her mouth was always in a grimace and she never looked pleasant.

Mrs. Heard -- older lady who wore her hair pinned back in a severe bun. Changed her shoes and sweater for recess like Mr. Rogers. Shook the heck out of me -- physically -- the first day of school because she heard of something I had done the prior year in kindergarten.

Mr. McClaren -- gym teacher with Marine flat-top haircut who would take the boys into his office, close the blinds, and shake them vigorously by the shoulders for discipline while yelling at them. He didn't bother the girls much except for some snotty comments or raised voice. We soon had separate gym teachers for the boys and girls.

Junior high:

Mr. Settle -- band director who was a dead ringer for Richard Nixon. Odd little man.

Mr. DeAngelis -- Spanish teacher who was a kind, patient, and funny man thoroughly enjoying his students.

Mr. Cole (first name "Cloud") - English teacher with sleepy, heavy eyelids that gave the impression he was bored or lizardlike. He didn't care for the girl students, and accused me of borrowing someone else's work because "there is no way you could write this well."

Had lots of crazy/interesting ones in college -- too numerous to mention!

Valued Contributor

I had an algebra teacher who constantly pulled up her bra strap. To show how old I am, most of my high school teahers were unmarried and very old. Anyway I thought they were old. Almost all  of the women was a "Miss."Now I wonder if she was trying to flash the boys in the room. ????

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had some wonderful teachers. They were creative, knowledgeable, and very good at keeping our wandering minds engaged. However, my craziest teacher was Mrs. Meschel. She was the lunatic teacher from he££. She used to check our ears every morning. She told us if we didn't go to bed by 8pm, something terrible would happen to our parents. She terrified and terrorized us. The woman was evil personified.

Years later, when I was grown and with children of my own, my mother and I went out to lunch, where Mom recognized the principal of my old elementary school. We went over all the teachers I had and where they were now. When we got to 4th grade, I said I had Mrs. Meschel. The principal then told me Mrs. Meschel had died. Without taking a breath, I replied, "Good!"

Esteemed Contributor

My most memorable teacher was Mr.Frisbee in 6th grade.  He was maybe 30, a combat Vet with a short crew cut and glasses.  I'm pretty sure he was a bachelor and he drove an MG-B and had a Kerry Blue Terrier, Shady Lady of Animal, who he sometimes brought to school.  His music lessons were amazing and he taught us several carols in German, which I can sing to this day, 56 years later.

Trusted Contributor

My craziest, and also one of my most interesting, was Mr. Corcoran, my high school biology teacher. He was a real fan of the  "Bullwinkle and Rocky Show", which was in its 3rd season (1961). Our weekend homework assignment was to watch the show, which aired on Sunday nights and we would have a quiz on it on Monday AM. He was an excellent teacher. He made biology fun and interesting, of course, I was always a science nut anyway, so I loved biology class. In those days, teachers could get special pricing on special event movies like "Lawrence of Arabia", "How the West Was Won" and the one he took a group of 8 of us to, "Judgement of Nuremberg". These special showings were on Saturday mornings and it was such a treat to go out with our teacher and the other kids. After the movie, he took us all to lunch. I'll never forget him. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speech teacher in college:  Bob Sheppard - "voice of the NY Yankees."  Not being a baseball fan, I had no idea who he was.  

Everytime I hear the word "indefatigable" I think of him (you had to be there!).

I just found out in the last year or so - we're from the same part of Queens, NY.    

--------------------------

ETA:  A friend of mine has a condo in Jupiter, FL ... Bob Sheppard had a place there also.  It was funny when friend told me about his "neighbor" ... then I told him about my "teacher."

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I had an English teach in high school that wasn't so much crazy or interesting but just a "little" strange.  Whenever we had Spirit Week, we ALWAYS had a "Farmer"s Day" and she would dress up with mismatched clothes, shoes, socks, HUGE Mexican sombrero and HUGE sunglasses.  The first time she did this she said, "you guys are supposed to ask me what kind of farm I'm from".  She then would tell us she was from the Funny Farm.  We just sat there and thought to ourselves....."OK then".

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My craziest was 7th grade history teacher. He did not like the clothes I wore. I wore blue jeans, t-shirts & chukka boots. He told me I should start dressing like a young lady & stop dressing like a boy. I told him to go jump in the lake. LOL!!! I kept wearing my boy clothes. I was a tomboy. Instead of wearing some of my sisters clothes I was wearing one of my brothers jeans.

No I'm not a tomboy anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

I had some good teachers and a couple of clunkers.

In 9th grade we had Miss Purcell.  I don't think she had been teaching all that long.

Tall, blonde w/long legs and she wore a lot od pencil skirts just above her knee.  She would sit on the front of her desk and cross her legs.

On the last day of school there she sat and one of the trouble making boys said something raunchy to her.  Man, she was off that desk in 2 seconds, and took 3 giant steps got to his desk in the last row, and slapped him across the face.

Not sure who was more surprised him, her or the rest of us sitting there with our mouths open.

Honored Contributor

My second grade teacher whom was a young nun.  I don't remember her name, but she pulled up her long black skirts with the black hose and black tied shoes and jumped rope with us!  

As I grew, the world changed.  I feared for her sweet, pure heart, and I hope she was always appreciated.