Honored Contributor

Who Was Your Craziest/Most Interesting Teacher

[ Edited ]

My most interesting teacher was Mr. Arnold.  He had polio and was crippled. He made government/social studies so interesting.  You know when the bell is going to ring (in high school) to pass to your next class and  you hear everyone picking up their books and getting ready to go?  Well in Mr. Arnolds class, that didn't  happen.  The bell would ring and everyone would still be listening intently and glued to every word.

Honored Contributor

Re: Who Was Your Craziest/Most Interesting Teacher

@jubilant -

That is one of the best and so special things of the world- a wonderful teacher!

I had many and my children did too

but my best was our 4th and 5th grade teacher. She had us in both grades and not only was like a treasured aunt and older sister to us but a lifelong friend.

She taught us things you need to know about everyday life, history, reading the best stories like The Incredible Journey, comforting us when our pets died or we were sad, making us laugh, teaching us strategy political games in 5th grade to decide how we would run a country,and teaching us with her husband how to throw a bomb in football! She also had a dog so for a present one year we gave her a dalmation large china statue.

She invited me and my best friend for most of my life to her retirement party probably 50 years later and introduced us as her very special guests.

What a great lady, teacher and friend.

There were many more but she is the most special and loved of all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

My 7th grade English teacher back in 1960 was a fashionista.  She never wore the same pair of high heels twice & said that she had over 200 pairs.  She would stand up in front of the class with her hands around her waist and they would meet each other.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay  Oh, she sounds like she was very special. Those are the ones you never forget and God bless them for what they gave us!  

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I would call this very interesting but my first grade teacher, who was a nun, grew up with my Dad and had been his first girlfriend.  They were just young teenagers and it was just a brief puppy love relationship.  My Dad left the small town and moved to a larger city and she eventually went into the convent.  

My Dad had no idea that she had moved to our town and was teaching at the catholic school that I was going to attend.  On their first meeting they were both shocked to see each other.  It made my first grade experience a very comforting one for me.  I won't say that she gave me special attention but her knowing my Dad definitely helped me.  I was a shy little girl and she always tried to make me feel less nervous and helped me overcome my shyness.  

She was a lovely person and I was sorry to see the end of that year.  I went to the same school for eight years and throughout that time I would occasionally see her in the playground.  I always remembered her and her kindness to me.  I've forgotten some of the names of the nuns who taught me in all of those eight years but I've never forgotten Sister Valerie.  

Respected Contributor

My sister had MISS HUDWALKER, who was mentioned in a Seinfeld episode, in grade school.  ENOUGH SAID.  That woman was a mean crazy B*t*ch! 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

My 5th grade teacher was also the librarian.  She had some sort of palsy that affected her neck.  She moved her head constantly and would put her fist under her chin to stop the movement.  Anyway, she would read to us after lunch everyday for about a half hour.  She picked the best books and would always stop at a spot that just kept you waiting for the next days reading.  We got used to her head movement.  She instilled a love for reading and books in many of us.

I wonder if teachers ever do this anymore...... 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In a school of mostly nuns, there was also Miss Bickford, an old lady who wore her gray hair in a bun. She also wore bangles up and down her arms and changed her sandals after lunch.

She taught 3rd and 4th grades; she was a genius. She made up games for the two grades to compete (find a word in the dictionary, do this math problem, where is this country located?) We were so busy all the time: learning to write a proper letter and then folding it correctly, dividing a sheet of paper for a spelling quiz, making glorious maps.

And every day she would start out afternoons by reading (the first couple books of the Little House series, famous stories like "The Emperor's New Clothes" and "Ali Baba"). She was absolutely magical and I dearly treasure the year we all had together.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My high school art teacher, Mr. Beale. He was tall, handsome and wore a toupe. Montgomery Clift, the actor, was his cousin. He lived in Beverly Hills and drove a pink Cadillac to Inglewood, CA every day to teach his classes. He loved his students and took a special interest in every one of them. Some wonderful artists came out of his classes (look up Gordon Punt on the internet)Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RealtyGal2   I did look up Gordon P.   I especially liked his dog sketchings, American Indian, Sonoma Abstract, and his watercolor flowers.