Honored Contributor

Who Was The Real Mary Poppins?

Another post came up from several years ago.  In the event you missed it, here is the actual youtube recording.

From Absolute History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MBbN9Ebow

I loved the movie and all of the actors!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Who Was The Real Mary Poppins?

Thank you @ECBG  I saved this link to watch later. I love love love this movie. Now I'm humming Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down! 😄😄😄😄😄

Honored Contributor

@godi It was one of my favs too!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ECBG -

I did watch this and right after it ended they showed The Secret Life of Mary Poppins which I enjoyed even more! I hope it won some awards.

Anyway, thanks for your recommendationSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Another post came up from several years ago.  In the event you missed it, here is the actual youtube recording.

From Absolute History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MBbN9Ebow

I loved the movie and all of the actors!

This video has been coming up in my YouTube feed as suggested for the last week, a few days before you posted this.  I am just watching it this morning and it is very interesting!

I remember checking out the book Mary Poppins at our town library when I was really small, about 8, around 1963.  So I was familiar with the character before the Disney movie came out.

Mary Poppins in the book was considerably more magical and sometimes a little scary.  I always remembered the part about her breaking off her fingers and giving them to the children to suck on like candy.  They tasted like peppermint. I couldn't get over how weird that was.  Other things, too, that just seemed a little more of a darker character. 

So Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins, for me, was considerably softened. 

Later I got the entire set of Mary Poppins from a book club, but never have read beyond the first book.

I haven't seen the movie with Tom Hanks, and now of course I want to!