Contributor

Hi!

i haven't posted in ages, but I love reading other posts.  

I was sitting recently, and was thinking about my deceased parents.  My dad's been gone over 25 years, and my mother, 12 years.  I was so missing them, especially my mom.  At times in life I feel adrift, and wish I could have her advice , and just company.  I have two bird feeders in my yard, and have enjoyed watching the finches, cardinals, chickadees feeding in the mornings. Last week, from a distance,  I saw a beautiful white bird.  I looked to see if it was a seagull, but it wasn't.  It was a white dove!  Now I do get the grey mourning doves at the feeder, too.  This white dove  hung around for three days!  It would fly to the top of my roof and coo at me.  I took numerous photos of it.   I have never seen a white dove ever, except at a wedding.  So I figured it was a homing bird and would find it's way back home, or belonged to a magician and needed to fly home.

I told friends at work and they told me white doves are considered a religious symbol, I.e., the Holy Spirit.  They were convinced it was the spirit of my parents comforting me. 

Three days the dove dove stayed with me, and then flew away.  It made me feel better anyway.....

Regular Contributor

Sorry to tell you, but tame white doves are bred and usually released during weddings on the weekends.  They are very tame and you can take easily capture them. The bird sanctuary will take them in as rescue.  Otherwise , they are usually eaten as prey as they are easily seen by larger birds and animals.  

Your father her and mother are with you always.

Valued Contributor

@AbbyK

I do believe that we get signs & messages from loved ones who have passed. My mom has been gone 15 years, and there are times I still want to call to talk to her.

I have always heard that when you see a red cardinal, it is someone from heaven telling you hello. My dad just passed away this month, and 5 days after he died, I had a red cardinal sit in the tree in front of my picture window. Gave me a wonderful feeling!

cookin

Contributor

Hi I too lost my dad a little over 25 years ago and my mom a little over 11 years, when I see mourning doves either at my feeder or when I'm driving, I always think of my parents watching over me.  When my dad was alive I use to ask him if he wanted to take a ride with me, but I'd say to him, want to go "flying".  He painted me some white doves on a small piece of wood that I cherish.  I miss them both.

Valued Contributor

What a beautiful experience for you!! It's almost like the white dove was your Angel. I truly believe we all have angels who watch over us.  Heart

Trusted Contributor

Such a beautiful story!  I feed the birds ~ A LOT!  I have nine feeders in the backyard alone and I have never seen a white dove at any of them.  You are very blessed!

This reminds me of a story (and I know I'm going to mess it up).  In England, a woman lost her young son I believe it was to cancer.  He loved birds, especially the little english robins.  One day while visiting his grave an english robin landed on the headstone.  She began talking to it and held her hand out.  The bird flew to her and landed on her hand!  She recorded all this and I think you may be able to still find it on the internet.  It made me cry.  There are so many signs all around us ~ all we have to do is look for them. 

Honored Contributor

I am sure it was so comforting to see the white dove....my mother loved cardinals....so I am reminded of her each time I see one...I do believe it is a little bit of comfort sent from above.

I do have grey mourning doves who come to my yard every morning and at dusk....they only eat flat-footed...on the ground. My feeder is usually drained by the squirrels....have yet to find a "squirrel-proof one.

Respected Contributor

@AbbyK

I agree with your friends and the wonderful, thoughtful people who have posted about this.  

I believe we do receive signs from our loved ones that we are being watched over.  What better sign for you than the peaceful, gentle dove.  The dove is a sign of love and devotion.  What better way for your parents to remind you of their love.

The dove is my favorite bird and I hope, that when I am gone, my children will think of me when they see one and hear the gentle coo and will remember how much I loved them.