Honored Contributor

Re: Where Did the rush of toiletpaper/shortage come from?

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay, now explain the shortage of eggs and the big price increase if you do find any.  Did the hens get upset and quit laying?  Are people hoarding eggs?  If so, there'll soon be a big stink, especially since the weather is warming.  Usually around Easter they're plentiful and dirt cheap.

Where, oh where have all the eggs gone?  🐔

@Kachina624 Easy one!  We're home all the time, we're keeping boiled eggs in the fridge; we're having them sometimes for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We have made firtattas, we have made cakes, we have made beans and cornbread and lot of times.  We have made waffles, we have made pancakes.  

Eggs on the house!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner    I guess you domestic goddesses have gone nuts I with the cooking.  But the restaurants have shut down; where are the eggs, sugar and flour they would have used?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay, now explain the shortage of eggs and the big price increase if you do find any.  Did the hens get upset and quit laying?  Are people hoarding eggs?  If so, there'll soon be a big stink, especially since the weather is warming.  Usually around Easter they're plentiful and dirt cheap.

@Kachina624   When I shopped last week, Chicken and beef were in shortage, as well. All the snack foods were gone, beer and wine cleared out, but the first 3 aisles of fresh fruits and veggies was plentiful. Of course paper goods were gone, too. I asked the manager about the stranger trends he's seeing in what's being bought up quickly. He said many farmers, unable to afford to ship their chickens, eggs, beef and milk products across country are causing a shortage in the warehouses. Those items need refrigerated transportation...expensive. Many were delivering to restaurants, as well and w/ that large portion of revenue cut off for them, money is budgeted differently. They're also not breeding as many cows and chickens since they can't afford to feed them or get them to market. Folks are stocking up on longer lasting canned and pre-prepared frozen foods and veggies instead of fresh. Of course, this will eventually cause prices to rise when unemployment is on the rise, as well. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SugarPuff wrote:

I heard on the radio yesterday that since people are staying home and working from home that toilets are being flushed at home 40% more.  No idea how they are measuring this!

@SugarPuff   When you think about it, it's simple fact that everyone working not from home was not using their own toilet paper...kids either...they did their business w/ school's TP. Now everyone's using TP at home. 

Respected Contributor

When I shopped last week, Chicken and beef were in shortage, as well. All the snack foods were gone, beer and wine cleared out, but the first 3 aisles of fresh fruits and veggies was plentiful. Of course paper goods were gone, too. I asked the manager about the stranger trends he's seeing in what's being bought up quickly. He said many farmers, unable to afford to ship their chickens, eggs, beef and milk products across country are causing a shortage in the warehouses. Those items need refrigerated transportation...expensive. Many were delivering to restaurants, as well and w/ that large portion of revenue cut off for them, money is budgeted differently. They're also not breeding as many cows and chickens since they can't afford to feed them or get them to market. Folks are stocking up on longer lasting canned and pre-prepared frozen foods and veggies instead of fresh. Of course, this will eventually cause prices to rise when unemployment is on the rise, as well. 

@Shanus Thank you.  I doubt many are aware or understand the economic factors in producing/maintaining our food supply unless they know someone involved.  We have become so accustomed to going to the grocery store and being able to purchase what we want when we want.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner    I guess you domestic goddesses have gone nuts I with the cooking.  But the restaurants have shut down; where are the eggs, sugar and flour they would have used?

@Kachina624  @Sooner   Could people have decided to kill time baking their own bread....not that bored yet, but may get there shortly.

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Kachina624 

According to the Washington Post, stress baking and hoarding are causing eggs to be in short supply. Plus, more families are home to cook three meals a day.

@butterfly123   My DIL said the granddaughters are eating her out of house and home. Usually in school, they have lunch there and that's it. Now between lessons, they're running around in the yard, walking the dog and hungry all the time. She's been making banana bread, blueberry muffins, apples w/ peanut butter and as many healthy snacks as she can think of. She's not purchasing cookies, candy, chips, etc. If it's in the house, they'll choose to eat that. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

So far around here where we shop the things that are not there are the paper products/bleach/Clorox and the hand stuff. There is plenty of hand-bath soap, at the same prices as before. 

No for my wife her favorite Starbucks store(inside Target) is closed. I could not care less about that. In fact I think it will help our bank account by not so many $6 a pop times ????

Prices on milk went down, same with bananas and grapes per pound. My General Mills cereals have remained the same, but a couple of the "giant" sizes were cleaned out Friday. Wife picked them up today. Eggs? beats me, I don't eat them and we have a least 2 dozen in the fridge.

Oops! My laundry timer just went off, gotta run down the steps and put them in the dryer. Only 1 more load to go.

hckynut

@hckynut   You go, John. Wish you were here helping w/ my laundry!!!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Ours are still doing curbside service and doing quite a business I hear.  At least the good ones! 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624   When I shopped last week, Chicken and beef were in shortage, as well. All the snack foods were gone, beer and wine cleared out, but the first 3 aisles of fresh fruits and veggies was plentiful. Of course paper goods were gone, too. I asked the manager about the stranger trends he's seeing in what's being bought up quickly. He said many farmers, unable to afford to ship their chickens, eggs, beef and milk products across country are causing a shortage in the warehouses. Those items need refrigerated transportation...expensive. Many were delivering to restaurants, as well and w/ that large portion of revenue cut off for them, money is budgeted differently. They're also not breeding as many cows and chickens since they can't afford to feed them or get them to market. Folks are stocking up on longer lasting canned and pre-prepared frozen foods and veggies instead of fresh. Of course, this will eventually cause prices to rise when unemployment is on the rise, as well. 

My brother became a long distance truck driver about 15 years ago. Since this life style is new to all of us, he tells us stories and shows us pictures when he comes to visit.

I will never forget one story. A few years ago when gas prices were higher than gas is today, my brother told us about a truck driver. He needed to fill up his tank to finish his delivery. Well, he did not have the $100 to get gas. So he was in a panic trying to sell his clothes. 

There is so much going on trying to get products from point A to point B, we do not know.