Honored Contributor

Where Did the rush of toiletpaper/shortage come from?

OK people.  I've done it!  I've found out what might...(I said might) be the origin of ta ta ta da....(are you ready) the great toilet paper shortage.

But you'll have to click here....Sally Quinn (remember her) will try to explain some of it.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remembering-the-great-toilet-paper-shortage-of-1973/

But actually Johnny Carson (now I know you remember....Heerrrsss (here's Johnny).  Revved up everyone by saying there was a shortage when actually there wasn't.  Can you believe he had to come back on the air later and acknowledge that he'd left out the word "MIGHT"?

Ok, so if  you want a more 'in-depth version go here".  I'll warn you, have someone with you as you view it because you might fall asleep and they can poke you awake........

https://thepopculturists.blogspot.com/2020/04/cbssm-when-johnny-carson-sparked-toilet.html

Now pay attention people you just might get quizzed on this later.

ps  This 'shortage...but not really a shortage'  is bringing out the best and worst of our friends.

(It's time for me brag a little here...(My chest is popped out...I'm so proud)...you see...I've actually been asked by 3 friends if I need anything.

What's that you say?  You've been asked too?

OK, well...did your friends actually ask you if you need any of their....wait for it...toilet paper?  

Because 2 of the 3 friends did.  I've thought long and hard about the 3rd friend not offering up some of her toilet paper and decided I won't hold it against her.  

She did bring me a carton of ice cream sandwiches.  (My friends know I only like round ice cream sandwiches and only the Harris Teeter brand....thank you).

So, I'll send her a thank you note for the ice cream sandwiches...(maybe her store just didn't have any toilet paper....maybe).

Trusted Contributor

Re: Where Did the rush of toiletpaper/shortage come from?

You can thank the 24 hour news media cycle

showing empty shelves in grocery stores for the toilet paper shortage.

It's a psychological issue that creates the hoarding when we see it.  Human nature.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 You're such a hoot!!!!!  Thanks for the smiles!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Pink123 Maybe we're descendants of squirrels?Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Okay, now explain the shortage of eggs and the big price increase if you do find any.  Did the hens get upset and quit laying?  Are people hoarding eggs?  If so, there'll soon be a big stink, especially since the weather is warming.  Usually around Easter they're plentiful and dirt cheap.

Where, oh where have all the eggs gone?  🐔

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I heard on the radio yesterday that since people are staying home and working from home that toilets are being flushed at home 40% more.  No idea how they are measuring this!

Honored Contributor

@SugarPuff wrote:

I heard on the radio yesterday that since people are staying home and working from home that toilets are being flushed at home 40% more.  No idea how they are measuring this!

@SugarPuff 

Probably your water bill. LOL!!!  

They have showed pics online of how clearer & cleaner places are with everyone at home & pollution down.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SugarPuff,

A close family member does the billing for water and sewer for a local community.   No longer than we’ve been under stay at home order, she says meter readings are showing a significant jump in water usage.   Weight numbers for their weekly trash pickups has also increased.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

As I've mentioned on another thread, our way of life has drastically changed. People are not working, eating out, going to school, etc. We are homebound. We need more supplies at home, not in commercial establishments. The manufacturers and suppliers have not stepped up quick enough to meet this challenge. 

Honored Contributor

@SugarPuff 

The water department/company can track this.  

Our water company has an app that we customers can even download that will show our water usage by hour.  On their system they can tell me when I've flushed the toilet!