Honored Contributor

Re: When your appearance impacts your income

[ Edited ]

@deedledeedeedle @hckynut @tsavorite @sidsmom @suzyQ3 

She is really amazing, 82 now. And so is he, from what I can tell.

I once read that the "trick" to her success is start early and make continual changes.

(edited to add)

I think they both look great for their ages and I think their procedures were done very well.)

A755AA0F-6196-436F-9D2F-D6B8FB2823F3.jpeg

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

I've seen worse (than Marie Osmond or Marlo Thomas).  I THINK I saw a photo of Suzane Somers...but I honestly couldn't be sure.  Her name was associated with it but the hair was the only thing that looked like her. 

I'm always surprised when I read here things that posters have had done. 

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I've had 4 abdominal surgeries, 3 c-sections and a hysterectomy, so for me the thought of needles and knives creeps me out.

Now one year my sister decided to have plastic surgery because a friend of hers had had a couple and looked great. They might have been in their 40s at that time. So my sis tells the doc she just wanted to look rested and just a change to a particular part of her face. Can't quite remember but he told her he had to do a lot more to tie it all together to make it work.

Didnt share with anyone else she was doing it as she didn't want to seem shallow..

This was just before Christmas and even though she was in a lot of pain and pain pills she didn't want to bow the family off so her daughter brought her to our dinner. 
I almost passed out when I opened the door and saw her with her swollen, black and blue ace and those horrendous big staples. All I could think was how could anyone voluntarily opt to do this to themselves.

Her friend hadtold her there was really very little pain and a few days after hers she threw a scarf over her head to cover the worst of it and went to the movies.

That was not my sis' experience. She was in pain for a long time.

In the end when all the healing and pain was done she did look rested but wow, what she went thru to look rested.

Can't  remember how long that refreshed look lasted but she saw that she would really have to keep it up every few years. After several face lifts her friend finally had no more and today she looks, in her late 70s, like she never had anything done.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone of course should do what makes them happy. That being said some people go over the top & look ridiculous.

I personally think less is more. If something really bothers you & you have the money fix it.But be careful about looking like a caricature of yourself.And know when to stop. There is nothing wrong with aging gracefully.

I saw pictures of Joan Rivers before her many surgeries.I thought she was very attractive.Then she started fiddling too much & IMO she just didn't look right.The same with Marie Osmond.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@hckynut 

She is really amazing, 82 now. And so is he, from what I can tell.

I once read that the "trick" to her success is start early and make continual changes.

@LTT1 

Not sure what you are referring to in this post as far as the word "success", and/or "starting early". What to you defines "success"?  And what exactly does that mean, and individually, not as a couple. I know that Phil grew up with a middle class family and did not go to Public Schools. Think his grade school was a "for pay" school.

Same with high school a boys only private school. Pretty much got a better education in these Catholic Schools. I attended both Public and Catholic, and the difference was huge. I learned in the 6th grade, in Catholic School, what they just started teaching me in Sophomore year in Public high school. 

Marlo? With her dad being Danny Thomas it just could have allowed her to "start early", or earlier, than the average middle class young lady. "She is amazing, and so is he", not sure what it is you are referring. You also mention "she is 82", and I think Phil is a couple years her senior. Why the age reference?

A lot of questions tossed your way as I like to know what defines some of the words/phrases I pointed out. This is only because you mentioned me in this particular post. Pass on answering, I am just a curious, old codger

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

sorry I need to clarify

i think she is the best looking 82 year old woman I have ever seen and she admits to "keeping up appearances through plastic surgery." 
I think Phil looks really amazing too.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 

She doesn't look like the girl on the show I loved "that girl", but neither do I the fan. To me she was always a beauty, and Phil always looked like a Classy Learned Man, still does.

Thank you for the reply and clarification, much appreciated.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Having plastic surgery is not a choice I think I would make.  Even if money were no worry.  I'll have to admit, I miss the face looking back at me in the mirror before wrinkles and sagging set in.  Still, it's not enough to risk being cut and anesthesia.  I know what it is like to have your brain permanently affected by anesthesia and, if at all possible, will avoid it like the plague.  I don't wish to judge those who do it but, to be honest, I somehow feel more admiration for those who don't.  Maybe that is not right but that is how I feel at this point in my life.  Of course we have to take into consideration that we have not walked a mile in their shoes and I need to remind myself of that at times. 

Respected Contributor

Sadly, it's not only older women going under the knife to improve(?) their looks.  Young women, including teenagers, are having plastic surgery.   Unless a teen has a deformity of some sort, they should not be having plastic surgery.   Parents who allow it are feeding into their children's belief  that they are not pretty enough.  Allowing breast augmentation on girls who are still growing is beyond stupid. 

Honored Contributor

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around women like Marie Osmond who have facial reconstruction as a response to aging. Her eyes are slanted a la Joan Rivers (God rest her soul). She looks terrible, almost doll-like, hawking her wares tonight with Rick Domier.

I can understand the need for cosmetic surgery such as abdominoplasty, etc after weight loss at any age because the excess skin becomes troublesome.

I think it's sad that in 2020 women still chose to undergo drastic surgery in order to recapture their youth.

dee

@deedledeedeedle 

The title of your thread explains it all.   It's soooo easy to criticize a woman, having never walked a mile in her high heels.

What would your attitude be like if YOUR appearance seriously impacted YOUR income?  Give that some thought.