Trusted Contributor

When your appearance impacts your income

I'm trying to wrap my brain around women like Marie Osmond who have facial reconstruction as a response to aging. Her eyes are slanted a la Joan Rivers (God rest her soul). She looks terrible, almost doll-like, hawking her wares tonight with Rick Domier.

I can understand the need for cosmetic surgery such as abdominoplasty, etc after weight loss at any age because the excess skin becomes troublesome.

I think it's sad that in 2020 women still chose to undergo drastic surgery in order to recapture their youth.

dee

Honored Contributor

Re: When your appearance impacts your income

I earned every wrinkle and gray hair I have.  

Respected Contributor

Yes! It bothers me too.

Women are doing this to ourselves. If we did not play along and get drastic surgeries, the notion that only young women are valued would go away.

Instead we reinforce it.  We compliment women with excessive surgeries, drastic weightloss, and photoshoppong.

Every Joan rivers and Marie Osmond does damage to other women. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I was shocked when I saw Marie. She looks terrible. Sorry, but just way too much. Wow.

Trusted Contributor

i  think she looks great... if i was rich. i'd consider it too... im jealous of the ones that have the money  lol

Honored Contributor

Golda Meier, Eleanor Roosevelt, Judi Dench, Wanda Landowska, Rosemary Clooney, Barabara Bush, Roslyn Carter, Meryl Streep, several American politicians (BOTH parties) - a very small few of A BROAD SPECTRUM who rely or relied on talent, intelligence, and human spirit to "sell" themselves as women of courage and talent and value and generosity of Spirit.

If "appearance impacts your income" as a woman, it's part of YOUR life story to determine for yourself whether it's worth it to you to match your self worth to presenting a surgically improved image to the world, or not. 

The irony of your comment, @deedledeedeedle , is crystal clear to me from a recent experience involving a life changing surgery that relieved me of decades long double vision. This surgery is drastic, requiring the eye to be removed from the socket under general anaesthesia, and although the benefits to me were almost miraculous, my surgeon was required to CERTIFY that the work was being done solely TO IMPROVE MY VISION, and not because of "cosmetic concerns".

How have we gotten to this? 

Honored Contributor

It's difficult getting a job for under 40 year olds when you live in a youth oriented culture.  Nutrisystem wouldn't touch Marie had she not had facelifts.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting.  After reading the OP's comment, I went and looked at the video that was referenced.  During the presentation Marie Osmond commented on a before picture of herself at a higher weight and said, "it looks like I was trying too hard".  A comment  that might apply to her current look. However, it is her choice and, obviously she feels better trying to recapture her youth. 

As women, we need to value and appreciate who we are.  We don't need surgical clownish overpumped lips and distorted eyes to have a sense of worth.  Perhaps, this is a message about perceived requirements in certain professions rather than our culture in general.  Even though I prefer to be my best naturally,  I do respect the freedom to choose for oneself.  

Honored Contributor

It's not sad or anyone's business.  It's a personal choice and doesn't change who we are inside and that is what counts.  I have never gotten the impression that only younger women are valued.  It's all in how anyone sees their self worth.  If you present as older and you choose to feel you are not valued and inferior because you are older then that is how others will see you.  I enjoy and live my own life and accept the choices of others.

Honored Contributor

I guess when you've always been in the public eye, it's probably hard to be scrutinized constantly as you are getting older.  Everyone is watching you and looking for every line, wrinkle, sag, every gray hair, extra pound, etc.!  If you are not really secure in yourself, I would imagine the negativity would be terribly hard to handle when it's a contant thing.  If you make your bread and butter on not only your talent but how you look, then you must feel the need to always look your best, no matter how you achieve it.  I do think a lot of celebrities look worse after having a certain amount of procedures, but I guess they do what they think they have to.  Growing old and looking old is not the most fun, and if I were wealthy I might be tempted to have a few small teaks done, but nothing extreme!  For the most part, I believe in trying to be your best natural self!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin