Honored Contributor

Re: When your appearance impacts your income

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my brain around women like Marie Osmond who have facial reconstruction as a response to aging. Her eyes are slanted a la Joan Rivers (God rest her soul). She looks terrible, almost doll-like, hawking her wares tonight with Rick Domier.

I can understand the need for cosmetic surgery such as abdominoplasty, etc after weight loss at any age because the excess skin becomes troublesome.

I think it's sad that in 2020 women still chose to undergo drastic surgery in order to recapture their youth.

dee

@deedledeedeedle 

The title of your thread explains it all.   It's soooo easy to criticize a woman, having never walked a mile in her high heels.

What would your attitude be like if YOUR appearance seriously impacted YOUR income?  Give that some thought.

**************   DH and I were talking about this.  We both felt is was too bad that one's appearance impacted their income.  You know, that's one thing I liked better about "the past".  I look at all these news ladies and they look so "cookie cutter" to me.  What about those gals that aren't quite so pretty but graduated at the top of their class and are just as smart.  I long to see everyday women (so to speak) and even older women doing the morning news (for example).  They should choose what they want to wear and how they look. 

If we could just get back to that a little teeny weeny bit.  Some may think that is not forward thinking.  I think women go backwards when  too much emphasis is put on beauty.  The sad thing is we have bought into it.  Probably most of us have at one time or another in our lives. 

To me, one good thing about getting older is being who I am and not caring so much what the world thinks. Oh my gosh.....it's so freeing!!!!  Why did it take me so long to learn this?!?!   

Trusted Contributor

There is an article in Sunday's Washington Post "Plastic Surgery's Pull on Men"

It revolves around a particular guy, Daniel, who works in IT for a nameless company in Silicon Valley.  He is 48, his co-workers are much younger.  Thanks to fillers/botox/surgery, he looks like he's in his 30s.  I guess it's equivalent to an 80 year old pilot!  Never happen; he would be shown out the door as "too old".

It's not just women or celebrities.  

Respected Contributor

@software 

I agree.  I saw a picture of Dolly the other day and if she hadn't had her wig on I wouldn't have known who it was.

Respected Contributor

@qbetzforreal 

I don't care what anyone else does either but I'm not sure I agree 100% with your last comment about it not hurting anyone else.

As other posters have said, I do think seeing 'famous' people who have had so much surgery does perpetuate the believe that if you don't look young and flawless, you are done.  And I don't like that.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@deedledeedeedle @hckynut @tsavorite @sidsmom @suzyQ3 

She is really amazing, 82 now. And so is he, from what I can tell.

I once read that the "trick" to her success is start early and make continual changes.

(edited to add)

I think they both look great for their ages and I think their procedures were done very well.)

A755AA0F-6196-436F-9D2F-D6B8FB2823F3.jpeg

@LTT1 

Oh gees .....  I glanced at this photo and wondered when Marlo was able to take a photo with George Burns .... hasn't he been dead for a while?   

Respected Contributor

If you are in the public eye guess you need to do this. TV's are HD or 4K they see everything. I understand but when celebrities at 20's or 30"s do it wonder when they get older how it looks. Even my DD told me older co workers got face lifts too.