Honored Contributor

Re: When your appearance impacts your income

Sometimes the results certainly aren't great, but I totally understand people in public professions doing what they can to get ahead or stay even.   

Maybe the real conundrum is why millions of people who aren't subject to celebrity pressure feel the pressure to fight the appearance of aging so much, many with surgery, even more with other medical treatments, and more than that with all sorts of purely cosmetic choices.

Honored Contributor

A person should do WHATEVER makes them happy

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

There are extremes in everything.  There are the ones who say "I am who I am and I'm not going to fix myself up for anybody else" and look like heck warmed over, then there are the ones at Marie's end of the scale.  Entertainment people are often at the extreme end.

My preference is the middle, but I don't see the cosmetic junkies any different from the I don't care's.  Both are out of the norm. 

Respected Contributor

@deedledeedeedle 

”Recapture their youth”......it can’t be recaptured as the “after” photos show.  They usually look fake:  like plastic doll faces or super stretched so as to have the eyes slanted or no ability to smile without grimacing.  Even photoshopped images may not work.

When I do my morning makeup, I smile as I remember the wise words from a colleague who was also touching up her makeup at the same time in the ladies room:  “ This natural beauty look sure is taking longer and longer to achieve !!!”

In my youth, I had boundless energy.  Now, every time I make the stairs, it seems to take forever.  Once I actually tried to run up them....didn’t work for this 75-year old body, lol.

So much for this recapturing effort !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Poor Dolly Pardon is the same way.... she is so pretty but all the plastic surgery has made her face odd looking and it hardly moves... another Joan Rivers Halloween face. 

No one wants to age... and those under the spotlight I guess feel that they must try to stay 30.  I can not imagine what the Kardashians will look like when old with all the plastic surgery they do now.  Might be an interesting science project.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Poor Dolly Pardon is the same way.... she is so pretty but all the plastic surgery has made her face odd looking and it hardly moves... another Joan Rivers Halloween face. 

No one wants to age... and those under the spotlight I guess feel that they must try to stay 30.  I can not imagine what the Kardashians will look like when old with all the plastic surgery they do now.  Might be an interesting science project.

Poor Dolly.   I love her so much, her personality, her music, her backstory but the older she gets, the more clown-ish she looks.   Keeping up those costumes aren't doing her any favor anymore.   Talk about someone trying to re-capture their youth!

Respected Contributor

Have no problem with women getting plastic surgery. If they have the money to do it and it makes them look and feel better, more power to them.  If looking better also prolongs your years of getting more income good for you!  Checked out the video of Marie O.  She still  looks to me to be in the same style she always has (lots of hair, lots of make up, lots of personality), just an updated version for the new year.  Do what makes you happy and/or keeps adding to your paycheck.

Trusted Contributor

I got a glance at the show last night and didn't recognize her at first. Her plastic surgery does make her have a nice appearance but, as some have said, gives her that fake doll like look. I just have to wonder what her 30 something daughter thinks about Mom looking younger than her. She definitely doesn't look 60.

Another thing I noticed. There is another thread about finger nails. Did anyone notice her nails? Made me think of one of the questions on the other thread. How does she put on her fake eyelashes and the rest of her makeup?

Esteemed Contributor

I don;t really care one way or another about women getting plastic surgery.........what bothers me is with all they go through 90% of the time they look worse and everyone can tell they have had something done...............I saw Christie Brinkley in a commercial the other day and her face has definitely been worked on.......i always ask myself "do they REALLY think they look better?"

Respected Contributor

Everyone knows these has-been "stars" have been re-plasitcized to appear "young"...

What I don't get is that ANYONE still thinks Nutri Glop works.

I have a male friend who just this morning told me he's going to consider "doing Nutrisystem" again because he's lost fifty pounds on it three times in the past.

I asked him...if it worked, why don't you keep that weight OFF with all the great knowledge they allegedly impart upon you about serving size etc?

He got mad.

Seriously. THREE TIMES and hundreds of dollars wasted.

Another scam.