Esteemed Contributor

Re: When you speak to your siblings about your parents.

[ Edited ]

@Jaspersmom wrote:

I believe people continue to do what they grew up with.  My brother is ten years older and my sister is six years older than me.We always refer to our mother as mommy because that's what we did growing up.  It's just among ourselves.  If we had called her ma or mother or mom growing up, I'm certain that's how we would refer to her when we speak about her.

Not in my family.  It was Mommy & Daddy when we were young, and then it turned into Mom & Dad as we got a little older.  And that's what all of us call our parents today.

It was the same for my kids.  We were Mommy & Daddy, and that became Mom & Dad.  It always seemed to me like a natural progression.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Called, and refer to, my parents as mom and dad. My FIL called his mom 'mommy' and she was close to 100 when she passed. Creeped me out. Sorry - it may be a 'Southern' thing according to MIL, but weird for a 6 ft man to call his mom, mommy. Eeek. Sorry peoples. 

Kids call us mom and dad. Sometimes they tease us and call us by first names. No reaction. I don't care. My son may call me and say, hey, what's [first name dad] doing right now? We don't care. Just do not call me mommy. 

Toddler grandson calls me by my first name. He hears others doing it. I don't care. Makes me laugh. I call my in-laws by their first names.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I call my parents Mom and Dad.  Haven't called them Mommy or Daddy since I was little.  After a certain age it just seems weird to me to call them that, I guess.

My husband calls my parents Mom and Dad, I didn't want to call my in-laws that so I somehow avoided calling them anything for decades....lol.  (No one caught on.)

I have a friend who refers to her deceased father as 'my Dyaddy'.  Hard to convey the pronunciation.

Respected Contributor

What if people who call their mother "Mommy" think people are weird who don't?

Honored Contributor

We write the way every relationship goes.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat 

Me? Only remember using "mom". My non-small? A drunken bum. Left mom with 4 kids to raise when he disappeared. 

Seems like a lot of woman from southern states I hear on tv use "daddy", not so much "mommy as "mama". Now this is just by thinking about this paragraph. The 1st paragraph is exactly as it happened. 

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

Interesting that you bring that up.  When I talk to my kids about their father I call him daddy or your dad.  When I refer to my mother I say mom.  But I don't think we should criticize anyone for what they call their parents.  If someone wants to call their parents mommy and daddy what's the difference.  It's their choice not ours.  And it's not our business. 

@luvmybeetle 

I am totally with ya on that.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

We've had this thread before, so I'm not surprised it's a thing.

But I still can't believe it's a thing.

We call my mother mommy and will until the end of time.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

My sister always referred to our parents as Mom and Dad.  To me they were always Mama and Daddy.  For several years before  she passed my dear mother no longer communicated but I always referred to her as Mama.   Until he passed at the age of 96 my beloved father was Daddy, and still is.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

My parents were always Mama and Daddy. I don't think thre is anything childish about it. It is just a word..My Irish neighbor calls her mother, Mommie, and her father Daddy, she is older than I am