Honored Contributor

Re: When you speak to your siblings about your parents.

When I first met my dh, we were 24, he referred to his mother as mommy.. I reacted and gave him a weird look. He never called her that again...ever. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Use to be mom and dad.  In the south, I think a lot of people say, mommy and daddy. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother is "Ma".  I don't care who I'm talking to.

My father is "My Father" to most family and non family.  Among my siblings it's "Daddy" because that's what I called him.

Yesterday when I was on the phone with my sister I said today is Daddy's birthday, can you believe he would be XX had he lived?

I know grown people who call their parents Mommy and Daddy when they are talking to their parents and when they are speaking about their parents.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

I refer to them as momma and daddy., usually. I am 51 and have always called them that. Not gonna stop now. I understand how it may stand strange to some and thats ok.

My dad who is in his 80's still refers to his parents as mommy and daddy when he speaks of them.

My mom refers to her folks as mom and dad, when she speaks of them

No matter how they are referred to, these are precious memories.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

have always called my parents the same thing since the time i learned what to call them. Smiley Wink no need to change now that i am  57.

the names we use are ethnic names for mom/dad or mommy/daddy.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I call my Father, Papa in the Family and when talking with, or writing to him.  Outside the family I refer to him as Dad.  My Mother was Mama until I was about 8 and then I avoided calling her anything.  She died 12 years ago and when speaking of her I call her Mother.  DH calls my Dad by his first name as he did my Mother, they do the same with him.

My parents always wrote to me as Drythe, and signed the cards Mama, or Papa.  

DH called his parents Mother and Dad, I called them by their first names as they requested.  They wrote to DH by his first name and signed Mother & Dad.  I was Drythe signed by their first names.  

I do do not have siblings, or children.

It’s all good with me.  I agree much of it is regional.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

When I first met my dh, we were 24, he referred to his mother as mommy.. I reacted and gave him a weird look. He never called her that again...ever. 

I would have reacted the same way with "a look"!!     It seems odd and babyish to me for adults to call parents Mommy and Daddy.  But that's just me....as others have said, all families are different, and people will and should use whatever title they like.

Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

I'm 60 years old and my brother, my only sibling, is 63.  When we discuss my parents, I refer to them as Mom and Dad.  He refers to them as Mommy and Daddy. 

My husband overheard a recent conversation of ours and he said, "Don't you think your brother is a little old to be saying Mommy and Daddy?"  I think it may be because I'm still his little sister and in his mind it makes sense.

My MIL and FIL, on the other hand, refer to one another by their first names when they speak to us.  My husband just got a birthday card from them signed "Love, Chris and Jim". 

Now, I think that's weird.  

It got me wondering how other people address their parents.

I call mine mom and dad. My sister lives with them and she calls them by their first names, but she has also worked in my dad's office and now handles medical appointments for my mom and would need to use their first names in both those cases.

Honored Contributor

My parents died when I was in my 40's, my siblings and I called them Mom and Dad. My husbands parents wanted to be forever young and liked being called E and Ralph. 

Trusted Contributor

My sister and I say Mother and Daddy when referring to them (both are deceased).  My husband also said Mother (also deceased).  We're both from Chicago originally, and that's what we called them as kids.