Valued Contributor

Re: When you speak to your siblings about your parents.

Both my parents were gone by the time I was 18.  They were and still are Daddy and Mom.  My Daddy and his brothers and sisters referred to their parents as Momma and Daddy for as far back as I have a memory.  My son is 18 and I am still Momma.  And, I dig it. 

Trusted Contributor

My youngest child is 9 and have never used the term mommy and daddy.  Neither me nor my brother refer to our parents in that manner either.

Honored Contributor

There are 4 siblings in my family. Both our parents died in 2012 several weeks apart. We all used Mom, but my 2 older sisters used Daddy. My brother and I used Dad. We still use these terms today when remembering them. Have no idea why we differ on Dad vs. Daddy. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I stopped saying Mommy and Daddy probably about 10 or 11 years old.  To me, it sounds ridculous for anyone to say that past their babyhood years.  But no disrespect - like another poster said, it varies from family to family, and I also think is may depend on what part of the country you are from.

I also think referring to someone as your big brother or little sister sounds stupid for anyone over about 10 yers old.  Just IMHO.

Honored Contributor

have no idea... they both have been gone for years. I am 64

Honored Contributor

My brother and I refer to them as Mom and Dad.  I think you can call them Mom, Dad, Mommy, Daddy whatever you are comfortable with.  I think your husband should not care what you and your bother call your parents.  I also think it is strange to call your parents by their given name.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Interesting topic.  It varies widely from family to family.  (I do think it is weird that your husband's parents refer to themselves by their first names on greeting cards.)

It's especially odd when you consider that he's always called them Mom and Dad, as have I since we've been married.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

My brothers and I say mom and dad.   My husband referred to his parents as mom, and always called his dad by name, always.   I called his parents by name; in 30+ years I never thought of them as mom and dad.   They signed my husbands birthday card and our joint Christmas card as mom and dad.  They never sent me birthday cards.  

My husband called my parents by their names, and my parents signed their names on cards to my husband.   

If my daughters ever marry, I will never sign cards for their husband by anything but our first names.  Their current boyfriends call us by our first names now.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat     I say Mama and Daddy to my sister and most of my friends.  My father is still alive, and I still call him Daddy.  When I'm talking to other people about him I refer to him as my Dad.  I don't at all think it's strange for your brother to refer to them as Mommy and Daddy if that's what he called them.

I think it's strange for your in-laws to refer to themselves by their first names to your husband, but not to you.  Does your husband call them by their first names?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

We called them Mom and Dad and refer to them as Mom and Dad.