Honored Contributor

When you speak to your siblings about your parents.

[ Edited ]

I'm 60 years old and my brother, my only sibling, is 63.  When we discuss my parents, I refer to them as Mom and Dad.  He refers to them as Mommy and Daddy. 

My husband overheard a recent conversation of ours and he said, "Don't you think your brother is a little old to be saying Mommy and Daddy?"  I think it may be because I'm still his little sister and in his mind it makes sense.

My MIL and FIL, on the other hand, refer to one another by their first names when they speak to us.  My husband just got a birthday card from them signed "Love, Chris and Jim". 

Now, I think that's weird.  

It got me wondering how other people address their parents.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: When you speak to your siblings about your parents.

62 years old, it's mom and dad.

Honored Contributor

My father I often addressed/call by his first name.  Mother?  Mother.

Respected Contributor

Interesting that you bring that up.  When I talk to my kids about their father I call him daddy or your dad.  When I refer to my mother I say mom.  But I don't think we should criticize anyone for what they call their parents.  If someone wants to call their parents mommy and daddy what's the difference.  It's their choice not ours.  And it's not our business. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

When I speak to others about my parents it is Mom and Daddy. Case closed.

I have no sibs.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Esteemed Contributor

I say Mom & Dad about my & DH parents

to our sons, about each other we say, Mom & Dad

Our son's SO call us by our first names. DS wanted her to call us mom & dad, she must not be "feeling it"   We don't mind.

To our Grandsons, we call each other Grandma & Grandpa.  When talking about their parents, we call them Mommy & Daddy.

Esteemed Contributor

When I speak to my brother or sister about my parents, I say mommy and daddy.  I'm 63.  My sister (twelve years younger) does the same.  My brother (57) refers to them as mom and dad.  

My father has passed and my mother is still alive.  When speaking to her, I call her mom, not mommy.  hahaha

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mom, or "my mother(mom)" or "your mother(mom)".

I used to call MIL by her first name but I think we like it better as "Mom".

edit:  I'm a few years younger than you, Housecat.  Just a very few.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Dad is gone, so we just say mom now.  Unless one of us is upset with her then it is "your mom" or "your mother".  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I believe people continue to do what they grew up with.  My brother is ten years older and my sister is six years older than me. We always refer to our mother as mommy because that's what we did growing up.  It's just among ourselves.  If we had called her ma or mother or mom growing up, I'm certain that's how we would refer to her when we speak about her.