Honored Contributor

Re: When you're feeling down....

Exercise, exercise, exercise!! It releases good endorphins therefore makes you feel better! I jump on my elliptical and sweat away my woes. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I try to watch the feeling to see when it changes. For me, it has a life that eventually ends on its own.  I don’t do any thing to make it go away. 

Honored Contributor

I call my sister and whine.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN  I love it!Good to have a willing to listen sis. I usually just tell myself to get over it.I feel down when I am worrying about things out of my control.My son told me to just stop it!He said I waste time worrying and that there will be plenty of time after the fact.He is right so I am working on the “just stop it”.

Respected Contributor

Walk outside ,weather permitting and buy myself flowers or a flowering plant. Right now I have tulips opening up each day on my kitchen table. 

Esteemed Contributor

I wish I could cheer me up. Only have a son now who comes and help and we go out shopping-he likes likes thrift going. He doesn't like me whining though. Any one -I have a hobby walking and collecting cans and bottles for extra money. It is only a few blocks but it gets me out. If anyone is getting up in ages and have no one what do you do?

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I wish I could cheer me up. Only have a son now who comes and help and we go out shopping-he likes likes thrift going. He doesn't like me whining though. Any one -I have a hobby walking and collecting cans and bottles for extra money. It is only a few blocks but it gets me out. If anyone is getting up in ages and have no one what do you do?

Good for you for going out every day for a walk.  If the cart gets heavy you could just walk for a bit.

I found that a antidepressant helps both my mood and my sleeping problems.  Perhaps you could check with your MD?

Honored Contributor

Great responses!  I could echo each of them, except maybe for the exercising.... I do it.... reluctantly.  I do like yoga, and that always helps my mood.

I most agree with counting blessings. I keep a gratitude journal and that really helps.  

If I were in a down mood, most likely I'd find something to clean or organize, or work on a crochet or sewing project.

I can't neglect to mention meds, though, for those of us who need them.  I've been on Welbutrin for decades.  Last summer I decided I didn't need it anymore and with my doctor's guidance, I stopped it.  By the time November rolled around it was obvious to DH and to me that I really did need the medication.  After two days back on it I was my optimistic self once again.  I encourage anyone who is really suffering to speak to a doctor. There's no shame in it.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I am not a get down kind of person, period.   My mother and her entire family were very anxious/nervous, depression prone people.   My dad and his family were very determined, strong-minded people.  

I am so thankful to have taken after my dad and his family.   Whatever life hands me, I put on my BGP’s and deal with it head-on.   I don’t dwell on negative stuff, and I thrive on a challenge.   

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Please go back to the first page and read my post.  I was an "only child" and my parents died when I was very young, so, I consider myself a "master" at keeping myself out of the dumps.  I'm a retired senior, but I force myself to get out of the house w/ a part-time job which I love.  Do what you love.  Volunteer, work ... whatever!

Do you have a dog?  If you like dogs, get one!

Don't want to be alone during the holidays?  Volunteer at a soup kitchen.

A lot of ladies here do so frequently.

Giving to others relieves "the dumps".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."