Valued Contributor

Re: When you look back at your life

@homedecor1  I am sorry you feel that way. I know how hard it is to be without your family and everything you love.

I did that when i got married but realized soon enough that I need what makes me happy no matter what others say or think. im making that change now. Yours happiness matters  too! Is there a way you can make a change now? If you can, please do I promise you wont regret it. 

sending hugs. Smiley Happy

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

I don't look backwards. What's the point? You can't undo it. Were there some things in my life that stunk? Absolutely. Was I responsible for at least some of them? Again, absolutely. But if they hadn't happened, then maybe the next great thing or experience wouldn't have happened. Every single thing that has happened in my life has helped to shape me and get me to where I am today. I'm not going to waste a moment having regrets. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I was the child of older parents.  My family is all gone now. Looking back on your life sometimes depends on how you look back.  Do you look back and remember the good times?  Do you look back and think what you don't have?  That's not a good thing.

I am not saying anything about how someone else feels, but I'm saying many of us don't look back a lot because that would be to focus on what we no longer have.  So we look mostly to today and tomorrow, and count our blessings as to what we had, have, and will have. 

Valued Contributor

That I would have walked away from my eight siblings sooner.  Our mom was very abusive to all of us growing up.  Although all of us have lived more of our lives without our mom in our lives than we did with her in our lives, they have chosen to hold on to the all hurt she caused. I thought we were in it together but I didn't see that they were against me as well.  

Super Contributor

If I look back at  my life I wish I would have gone to college and had a profession.  Being content with a marriage and children at that time life was good... Thirty-three years later huband decides to leave and the marriage is over... Not a good time in my life now with a job that just gets the bills paid and much added stress....My present job is a dead end and college could get you promotions.... It's too late to get a degree because I will be 95 when I am done - haha... But that is my regret....Thanks for letting me vent....

Valued Contributor

@hondagirl wrote:

If I look back at  my life I wish I would have gone to college and had a profession.  Being content with a marriage and children at that time life was good... Thirty-three years later huband decides to leave and the marriage is over... Not a good time in my life now with a job that just gets the bills paid and much added stress....My present job is a dead end and college could get you promotions.... It's too late to get a degree because I will be 95 when I am done - haha... But that is my regret....Thanks for letting me vent....

I also regret not getting a college degree. Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose 

thank you!  It's a thin line if the "grass is greener" only because working 40-50/hrs a week and being not home together neither of us realized we have nothing in common.

I don't blame only him but me for allowing myself to be wore down til I said "yes"😡.  My therapist is helping me make a "plan" as I certainly don't want to live with my kids (or friends).  It's amazing that some of the ladies I know say the same about their spouses.

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma ..family can be so hurtful....been there.

Esteemed Contributor

That’s a tough question because if I hadn’t made the choices I have I wouldn’t have the wonderful life I have now.When I graduated from college my dad had just retired. My goal was to work a year to save some money & then go to law school. Then I met DH & everything changed. We got married & I kept working.

DH offered to put me through law school several times.I said no because I knew If I did I would probably never have a child.After he was born I said no because I didn’t want to leave him.

Today I have a wonderful husband & a terrific son who’s in the top of his class in law school.I feel very blessed.

The only thing I could have done differently is worry less.I’ve gone through most of my adult life being a worrier. I’m working on it now!!

Esteemed Contributor

I want to encourage those who feel they missed out on college that many public colleges and universities offer free tuition to those age 60+.

You are usually limited to 1 or 2 free classes  per semester on a space available basis. Tuition is waived but you still have to buy your books. Usually it's not for a grade but only pass/fail.

It may be a great way to connect your passion for learning for not a lot of money.