Esteemed Contributor

@Malcontent wrote:

@elated 

We held on because his doctor said it was his teeth. She gave him shots and said give it time for the shots to work. It wasn’t until the umpteenth phone call that she said to me it would be cruel to go on.

If you think I don’t feel horrible... You’d be wrong.

His urn is now here with us.

I don't know you or your vet but after reading your posts it really made me sad. You saw your cat deteriorating and just let it go. Common sense would have told you it wasn't his teeth. Your vet is either incompetent or there is some missing information. I am sad for his suffering but at least it has come to an end. Bless his heart for finally being at peace. 

Trusted Contributor

@Venezia 

She was his vet for 9 years and we had no reason not to trust her and her advice…until now.

She is no longer our vet for our other 3 fur babies.

For the last 15 days every hour on the hour I’ve been warming his special broth and trying to feed him. She (vet) and my husband said he’ll be alright and just keep doing what I’m doing. THEN…they both what feels like a sucker punch tell me it’s cruel to go on. My head at this point is spinning with confusion –the conflicting messages. I said okay, it’s time. THEN my husband made the decision not to euthanize him for another week because he was drinking water and using the bathroom. At this point I really can’t think straight anymore.

I called another vet and explained the situation and she said she would help us. My husband held him while he passed. Her clinic has a special room for these passings.

My boy now rests in a special urn.

I’m angry at the vet, at my husband, but mostly I’m angry at myself. I didn’t listen to my gut or instincts even though his vet and my husband said he’ll be alright and keep going.  Until they both decided it’s cruel of me to keep going.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

I don’t need you to tell me what a terrible human being I am.

Trusted Contributor

@elated 

I did ask her could it be something internal like his kidneys and she said no because he’s drinking water and using the bathroom. Money is no issue with us and she was told to do whatever tests that can be done. She kept saying it was his teeth. He had one long tooth fall out and so she said his gums were inflamed.

Trusted Contributor

@elated wrote:

@Malcontent wrote:

@elated 

We held on because his doctor said it was his teeth. She gave him shots and said give it time for the shots to work. It wasn’t until the umpteenth phone call that she said to me it would be cruel to go on.

If you think I don’t feel horrible... You’d be wrong.

His urn is now here with us.

I don't know you or your vet but after reading your posts it really made me sad. You saw your cat deteriorating and just let it go. Common sense would have told you it wasn't his teeth. Your vet is either incompetent or there is some missing information. I am sad for his suffering but at least it has come to an end. Bless his heart for finally being at peace. 

Common sense would have been taking her cat to ANOTHER VET to get ANOTHER OPINION on what was going on. She should have INSISTED that a vet do bloodwork and/or tests. There was OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING SERIOUS going on for a cat to lose THAT MUCH WEIGHT. Bad teeth DO NOT cause WEIGHT LOSS. The vet sounds HIGHLY INCOMPETANT. My sympathy is ONLY for the CAT who was SUFFERING.

Honored Contributor

At this point I don't think there is any point in anyone adding more critical comments about the situation.

I believe all of us (fallible humans) who love our pets have wished that we did something differently or regretted decisions we made.  I know I certainly do and I try very hard to do what's best for my furbabies.

The guilt most of us feel, when we feel we've let them down, is horrible and very hard to get past.

@Malcontent 's kitty is now at peace and I think it's time to let it go.  I wish her nothing but time for her heart to heal.

Perhaps this thread should be closed for commenting?

Honored Contributor

@Venezia   👍

@Malcontent   💔🐾❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

"Perhaps this thread should be closed for commenting?"

@Venezia 

I totally 100% agree!

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor
You got your baby's cremains the day after his passing. It always takes us several days. Rest in the knowledge that you did the right thing at the end. The loss is always a crushing blow but we must do what is best for the pet and not ourselves. And that really hurts!
QVC Customer Care

This thread is closed for commenting...